The debt of human nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
Theodoret of Cyrrhus represents Christ speaking to the devil in the following terms:

I have paid the debt for human nature. Though not liable to death, I have endured it; though not subject to it, I underwent it; though not required to render an account, I was enlisted with those so required; though free of debt, I was ranked with the debtors. I have then paid nature’s debt, and in enduring an unjust death I have freed those for whom death is deserved. By being unjustly detained, I release from prison those who are justly kept there. Oh! harsh avenger of sin, look at the bill of nature effaced, look at it nailed to the cross and the decree of sin abolished. See how no trace of sin is entered.
The eyes of this body have paid for eyes that looked on evil things; those ears have paid for ears that were exposed to filth; this tongue for tongues that moved in transgression of the law; those hands for hands which performed wicked deeds; those other limbs for limbs which perpetrated evil of whatever kind. Now that the debt is paid, it is fitting that those who were detained in prison on its account should be released, and should recover their former freedom, and should enter into their patrimony.​

On Divine Providence, Discourse 10

I've always found Theodoret both stimulating and profitable - I'm glad others find something worthwhile as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back