the deity of Jesus Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dao

Puritan Board Freshman
I keep coming across that the PC(USA) denies the deity of Jesus Christ. This showed up at several places and one of the reasons the PCA was formed. Can someone explain the meaning of "PC(USA) denies the deity of Jesus Christ"?

I keep coming across that the PC(USA) denies the deity of Jesus Christ. This showed up at several places and one of the reasons the PCA was formed. Can someone explain the meaning of "PC(USA) denies the deity of Jesus Christ"?

I found this on what the PC(USA) believes on Jesus -------> Click Here

When it is said the PC(USA) denies the deity of Jesus Christ, it is NOT a question of denominationally-specific teachings in any official manner. More often, I think, if you hear such things said, they are being said because of practical matters - PC(USA) teachers who exclusively teach of the humanity of Christ, and treat him as a mere man, etc. From the perspective of their confessional documents one can certainly not say that they teach Christ as merely man - but it is in some circles and in many cases reflects what many of their teachers actually do convey by their teaching.

To me, the telling thing about that statement is the absence of a declaration about the atonement that has any teeth. Yeah, it briefly mentions "giving his life for the sins of the world." But the wrath of God is missing. The need for a Savior is missing. In this PC(USA) statement, Jesus is mostly an example and leader we can relate to. The cross matters only because by it "we are able to know the fullness of God's love for us." The second coming will bring peace and love, but not judgment nor eternal life for believers. That's no real gospel.

One effect if you start thinking this way is that Jesus will mean far less to you than he should. So it's no wonder his deity starts to be ignored, even though it's officially in the statement of faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back