The denial of predestination and Deism

Status
Not open for further replies.

fralo4truth

Puritan Board Freshman
Let's suppose that someone held the belief, as strange or illogical as it may sound, that God had not predestinated ALL things, but only SOME things. Would this make them a deist with respect to those events that they stated God had not ordained? If I state for instance that my typing of this sentence was not decreed by God, then something other than God is the FIRST cause of it, correct? Is that not atleast a portion of deism's teachings?

Denial that some particular event has been predestinated is a denial of providence, the outworking of God's decree. Where there is no providence over this event, God has been removed from this event.

Just how close is the link between a denial of predestination with that of deism?

Could I even say that those who make free-will out to be the first cause of something which occurs (e.g. drinking a cup of coffee) guilty of giving semblance to deism, seeing that God has been banished from this particular event?

Or can the denial of God predestinating some particular event only be called Deism if it is maintained at the same time that this unordained act was brought about by the laws of nature?

Please correct me friends if I am in error.

Thank you.

That's a very good question for me. I'm not sure about this myself. So let me process this...
Let's see...Deism is a belief which states that the existence of God can be determined strictly from nature and the created order of things.

Romans 1:19-20 says, "since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.(A) 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made,(B) so that people are without excuse."

So if I'm reading this right, it is possible to at least determine that God exists by looking at nature.

However, simply believing in the existence of God is not enough for salvation (James 2:19).

Unless the Spirit of Christ lights up a man's mind, unless the Father calls them (John 6:44 ), they will not come to salvation.

Oh, and there God's wrath against Deists for rejecting divine revlelation as well. I would think that, that would come into play. And yet because of His compassion, even out of Deists, He would sovereignly bring some to repentance while passing over others. My thoughts.

Last edited:
Kevin I think you have boiled down the problem with any system that denies God ordaining everything that comes to pass. I have attempted to explain this nurmerous times to other Christians but somehow they refuse to accept God is totally in control of everything that passes. Personally I would despair if I had such a belief, but they seem to keep on trucking through life with the horrible theology they posses.

Appreciate your comment Earl. I used to deny God's predestination of all that is, and know of some who do hold to a limited form of predestination. What I'm wondering is if such folks are basically deists with respect to those things which they say are not predestinated.

I always want to be careful when making such a charge.

Appreciate your comment Earl. I used to deny God's predestination of all that is, and know of some who do hold to a limited form of predestination. What I'm wondering is if such folks are basically deists with respect to those things which they say are not predestinated.

I always want to be careful when making such a charge.

Good point, in that you were a Christian even when you held the incorrect view.

My understanding of Deism is that it is a natural religion reliant
upon the use of reason ,rather than on the divine revelation in
the scriptures. Without the sure ground of scripture, anything
goes.
Therefore predestination would be abhorrent to a natural man
with a natural religion. I suppose the issue should be decided in
knowing whether the person has the root of the matter in him,
but is untaught, or that the person is proceeding on reason alone.
One is a deist, the other has defective theology who needs teaching,
as he is in danger of deism.
"Blessed are they who to observe
His statutes are inclined,
And who do seek the living God
with their whole heart and mind.

They are probably not Deists, but Open Theology adherents, believing that God does not predestine, but acts in a reactive way to His creation's twists and turns. Such a belief does, of course, deny God's omniscience. Try this: Open theism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And then read this (pdf of the book is a free download at the site below):

Beyond the*Bounds by*John Piper and Justin Taylor Open Theism and the Undermining of Biblical Christianity - Desiring God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back