The Dimension of Eternal Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
"That ye may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and, length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge," (Ephesians 3:18,19)

The Almighty knew how the devil, the God of this world, would blindfold us in order to lead us to the bottomless pit, and that Satan would send many blind guides to lead us on from one dark mountain to another, that we might follow the devil's doctrine, and so be damned at last. I say the Lord knew this, for "known unto God are all things;" therefore in this covenant he has promised to be an everlasting light to all his people; as it is written, "But the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory." (Isa. 60:19)

In this covenant God hath provided a righteousness for the elect, though by nature they were ungodly. (Rom. 4:5) This righteousness was wrought out for the elect by Christ; as it is written, "By the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." (Rom. 5:19) This righteousness God accepted of our surety, he "being made of God unto us righteousness." (1 Cor. 1:30) This righteousness God also imputes freely without any pre-requisite in us; as it is written, "Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works." (Rom. 4:6) The Spirit of God brings this righteousness near to us in a preached gospel, and reveals it to the eye of faith; as speaketh God by the prophet Isaiah, "I bring near my righteousness; it shall not be far off." (Isa. 46:13) This righteousness is revealed in the gospel for every believer: "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, The just shall live bv faith." (Rom. 1:17) Faith puts this righteousness upon the poor sinner for his justification before God, as a righteousness procured by God: "But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; even the righteousness of God, which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe." (Rom. 3:21,22)

Remember, this righteousness is given freely, therefore woe be to that man that thinks to merit it, or add something, of his own thereto; which Christ calls putting a piece of new cloth upon an old garment, that will make the rent worse. I say it is given of God, and cannot either be bought or sold; as it is written, "They that receive abundance of grace, and the gift of righteousness, shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ." (Rom. 5:17)

From The Dimension of Eternal Love by WILLIAM HUNTINGTON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back