The Doctrine of Justification by James Buchanan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron

Puritan Board Graduate
Received my copy today. I had read J.V. Fesko book on Justification and I'm starting Buchanan it's around 500 pages. Was wondering if some one can compare the two books seeing Buchanan wrote in the 1800 and Fesko being a modern author. Can anything new be said about Justification?

Buchanan wrote one of the very best books on justification ever written. While he will not interact with the departures from it today (e.g., Federal Vision and NPP), this book is the finest thing I ever read on the subject. If you understand the truth thoroughly, you will more likely be able to identify the departures, counterfeits, and errors of those who are heterodox. Highly recommended.

I have been having some conversations with some other Pastors in our area and we have discussed Thomas Aquinas' view on Justification (how we are accepted by God in the process of Salvation), which says God makes a difference in people. Justification is not just the beginning of a Christians life, but its continuation and ultimate perfection. It is a change of inner nature not just legal status. Augustine and Athanasius also held to this view. In other words people can do nothing on their own to guarantee Justification or prepare for it. Martin Luther believed their is a difference between Justification (God's declaration that he accept us) and sanctification (Our inner renewal). Luther held sanctification comes after justification, however both Luther, and Thomas hold that Justification is a gift from God procured on the cross by Jesus. So if God grants the Justification and Sanctification then we are led by the Spirit according to Paul in Romans 8:1-17. So to our conversation, If we can do nothing on our own, then are the imperatives in scripture just to show what God demands, or do we simply obey them on our own merit? Sorry a lot of ink here but this is what we were discussing and I do not think any more could be said on Justification, but maybe rehashing the past.

I have been having some conversations with some other Pastors in our area and we have discussed Thomas Aquinas' view on Justification (how we are accepted by God in the process of Salvation), which says God makes a difference in people. Justification is not just the beginning of a Christians life, but its continuation and ultimate perfection. It is a change of inner nature not just legal status. Augustine and Athanasius also held to this view. In other words people can do nothing on their own to guarantee Justification or prepare for it. Martin Luther believed their is a difference between Justification (God's declaration that he accept us) and sanctification (Our inner renewal). Luther held sanctification comes after justification, however both Luther, and Thomas hold that Justification is a gift from God procured on the cross by Jesus. So if God grants the Justification and Sanctification then we are led by the Spirit according to Paul in Romans 8:1-17. So to our conversation, If we can do nothing on our own, then are the imperatives in scripture just to show what God demands, or do we simply obey them on our own merit? Sorry a lot of ink here but this is what we were discussing and I do not think any more could be said on Justification, but maybe rehashing the past.

James,

First, justification and sanctification are two different things. Second, we do things on our own. We do things according to our nature. Since we have been changed by the Holy Spirit, we have the ability to do holy and righteous things. Those who haven't been changed (regenerated) do things that "are as filthy rags" before God. Third, we (as reformed and lutheran) hold to the third use of the law. Here is what I mean (quote from Joel Beeke, quoting Calvin):

3) It becomes the rule of life for the believer. "What is the rule of life which [God] has given us?" Calvin asks in the Genevan Catechism. The answer: "His law." Later, Calvin says the law "shows the mark at which we ought to aim, the goal towards which we ought to press, that each of us, according to the measure of grace bestowed upon him, may endeavor to frame his life according to the highest rectitude, and by constant study, continually advance more and more.

Thanks Andrew for the thread and yes I do believe that Justification and sanctification are two different things. We were discussing this after reading Is Sanctification By Faith Alone? – Kevin DeYoung a Kevin Deyoung blog and how there seems to be some tension between Justification and sanctification. Also Pastor Tullian from Coral Ridge discused how we relate to What is the relationship between “Gospel Imperatives” and the Old Testament Law? RPM Ministries, which brought the discussion out more fully and made us look a little deeper. Good stuff and thank you for the link from Joel Beeke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back