The Eschatology of George Gillespie -- Steven Dilday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks very interesting; I have Gillespie's works, but didn't note if it had his Parliamentary addresses.... SWEET!!! I just got back from checking, and it contains at least some of his addresses to the Commons and Lords of England. Anywho, the book you mentioned referenced Gillespie's sermon before Commons on Ezekiel 43, and I found that one.

I may just pick up that book. Do you know much about the author? Where he's coming from theologically?

Cheers,

I may just pick up that book. Do you know much about the author? Where he's coming from theologically?

Cheers,

Yes, the author is my pastor. I assisted with editing the book. :)

The book is available for purchase also at the link in my signature, along with the work of Matthew Poole which he is also translating, and I am also editing.

Dr. Dilday is coming from a Reformed Presbyterian perspective theologically, and an historicist postmillennial perspective eschatogically.

His goal is to survey the works of George Gillespie to present his eschatological views, and in doing so, to present and introduce historicist postmillennial Puritan eschatology to the modern reader.

Blessings!

Looks very interesting; I have Gillespie's works, but didn't note if it had his Parliamentary addresses.... SWEET!!! I just got back from checking, and it contains at least some of his addresses to the Commons and Lords of England. Anywho, the book you mentioned referenced Gillespie's sermon before Commons on Ezekiel 43, and I found that one.

Cheers,

There are just the two sermons in the Works, one before the House of Lords, the other the Commons. Gillespie makes reference to another sermon at the start of his House of Commons address on 2 Chronicles. 20:33, Howbeit the high places were not taken away; for as yet the people had not prepared their hearts unto the God of their fathers. I have not been able to narrow down when this would have been; nor have I found him assigned any duty by the Assembly; nor have I found any reference in the Commons journal. I think but am not sure but that the Scots had other occasions to preach in England which were not formal state occasions (fast/thanksgivings etc). Whether the sermon Gillespie references was an official occasion as I say I'm not sure; but in either case it was not printed; often even state occasions were not printed; though my suspicion is this may have been if it was official; so I'm guess it wasn't. But I ramble. Given the subject matter it would have been great if it had been printed to say the least; and sadly, any MSS Gillespie had of it was destroyed. He had left a lot of material, sermons I think, in the hands of a printer when he left the Assembly for Scotland, and, according to his cousin, some of one of the various sects paid the printer money and had them destroyed.

NB.
The SWRB reprint of Gillespie's works is incomplete. It lacks Aaron's Rod Blossoming; ubiquitous in the Sprinkle reprint; and his Assertion of the Government of the Church of Scotland, which I have in a new edition in a Lulu paperback. The works edited by Hetherington, of which the partial reprint by SWRB is from, also was not totally complete, lacking a few state papers and his anonymous tracts (Dialog between a Civilian and a Divine; Faces About, contra John Godwin; Reasons against the Service Book; and Wholesome Severity Reconciled). I have an edition of G's Anonymous Works with proof of authorship also available as a Lulu production.

As far as eschatology is concerned Gillespie has an aside in his Dialog referencing 1 Tim. 6:14 and Rev. 2:24-25.

Mr. Coldwell,

Thank you for the very valuable information; I think I now have several more books to my ever growing "oughta buy and read" list!

Godspeed,

Adam

Andrew,

Very good. I myself am rather convinced that the Standards are based upon a very optimistic eschatology; I'm not sure why it doesn't appear in the Confession, but it certainly does in the WLC.

I'd love to pick up your pastor's book; especially to help him out in his research.

Godspeed,

Andrew,

Very good. I myself am rather convinced that the Standards are based upon a very optimistic eschatology; I'm not sure why it doesn't appear in the Confession, but it certainly does in the WLC.

I'd love to pick up your pastor's book; especially to help him out in his research.

Godspeed,

You're welcome, brother. If you read the essay, you will find some brief discussion of the eschatology of the Westminster Standards, with respect to such texts as WCF 23.4 (Rev. 13.15-17); WCF 25.6; WLC 191; DPW Public Prayer; and the English Annotations.

Blessings!

Andrew,

I just ordered the essay; thanks!

Chris,

I just ordered all the books you mentioned except Aaron's Rod. I may be seeing Lloyd Spinkle some time soon, so I'll try to pick it up then.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back