The Expansiveness of Biblical History

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Reading through 1 Samuel currently (using M'Cheyne), I notice that 1 Samuel 13.1 states that Saul was 30 years old when he became king, and that he reigned for 42 years, meaning that he died at the age of 72. Saul, of course, dies at the end of the book (1 Samuel 31.4), which means that 1 Samuel 13-31 covers a period of 42 years.

When reading the Bible's account straight through, chapter by chapter, you sometimes get the feeling that the events you read about happen fairly quickly, one after the other. So, it's good to be reminded that all the stories we get about Saul in those chapters are actually spread out over a period of more than 40 years. We're not told everything that happens during his reign. We're just getting the highlights (or, in Saul's case, the lowlights) of his career as king - just those things God considers relevant that He wants us to know.

This happens quite frequently in Scripture (Paul's ministry, for another example). It's good to be reminded of that, so that we can think in terms of the "big picture" of biblical history.

Question: When I typed the post, I spelled out "M'Cheyne" in full. But, as posted, something in the software took out the first "c". What gives?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back