The Fear of God

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Hosie

Puritan Board Freshman
By this we may know whether we walk with God, if we walk ‘in the fear of God’. We are fearful of infringing his laws, and forfeiting his love. It is a brand set upon sinners: ‘There is no fear of God before their eyes’ (Rom. 3:18). The godly fear and do not offend (Psa. 4:4). The wicked offend and do not fear (Jer. 5:23,24). Careless and dissolute walking will soon estrange God from us and make him weary of our company: ‘what communion hath light with darkness?’ (2 Cor. 6:14).

Thomas Watson - the Godly Man’s Picture

"Careless and dissolute walking will soon estrange God from us and make him weary of our company". I don't agree with this. God can't become estranged with his children because of what Christ did for us and his righteousness imputed to us. I think he becomes angry with our sinning and then he disciplines us, but he never becomes estranged and weary of us.

"Careless and dissolute walking will soon estrange God from us and make him weary of our company". I don't agree with this. God can't become estranged with his children because of what Christ did for us and his righteousness imputed to us. I think he becomes angry with our sinning and then he disciplines us, but he never becomes estranged and weary of us.

He is speaking as if God becomes estranged and weary of us.
:)

But he doesn't

Do you really think Watson thinks God gets wearied or angry? We are allowed to use anthropomorphic language knowing that Our Lord is not really wearied, or has human emotions, feelings, and such. I am confident Pastor Watson would say he is indeed using such anthropomorphic language if pressed to explain himself. :)

Do you really think Watson thinks God gets wearied or angry? We are allowed to use anthropomorphic language knowing that Our Lord is not really wearied, or has human emotions, feelings, and such. I am confident Pastor Watson would say he is indeed using such anthropomorphic language if pressed to explain himself. :)

I think it's absolutely righteous for God to use anthropomorphic language and for us to use exact quotes from the Bible which use anthropomorphic language, but I think we head dangerously close to inaccurate doctrine when we feel that we can make up anthropomorphic language about God.

I think it's absolutely righteous for God to use anthropomorphic language and for us to use exact quotes from the Bible which use anthropomorphic language, but I think we head dangerously close to inaccurate doctrine when we feel that we can make up anthropomorphic language about God.

Fearing of hijacking this thread any further may I suggest we start another thread to discuss this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back