The Federal Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.
A possible danger that could come into play with this teaching is that from what I understand Doug Wilson is very popular with homeschooling parents,and is often requested as a conference speaker.
I have been told that if you did not know of this controversy you would not know he has been involved with it, from his speaking on educational issues.
If you are going down a wrong path,it seems it would be hard to seperate truth from error consistently without the error "bleeding over "into your other topics

A possible danger that could come into play with this teaching is that from what I understand Doug Wilson is very popular with homeschooling parents,and is often requested as a conference speaker.
I have been told that if you did not know of this controversy you would not know he has been involved with it, from his speaking on educational issues.
If you are going down a wrong path,it seems it would be hard to seperate truth from error consistently without the error "bleeding over "into your other topics

Yeah, it's a shame that the CREC is at the forefront of the revolution in Christian education.

Yeah, it's a shame that the CREC is at the forefront of the revolution in Christian education.

Some truly are legends in their own minds.

It is, in fact, "too bad" that otherwise well educated children have not been educated in the most important truth of all: the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus went to the same synagogue schools as all the other kids in his neighborhood did. One of the seedbeds of the FV error was an imbalanced understanding of what parents are about in the training of their covenant children: especially a desire to have a Covenantal definition that completely obscures the distinction between the visible and invisible Church.

While the FV doesn't have the same effect, there is significant penetration of the NPP (New Perspectives on Paul) into some Baptist ranks, even the Reformed Baptist camp. All the more reason to strive as pastors (whatever our affliation) to encourage Berean sensisbilities in our congregations for their profit, His glory and the protection of His church.

Indeed. Last year I guest lectured to group of Baptist polity students at Fuller. We were discussing ordination. When asked how they felt about some of the controversies of the day (e.g., emergent church, NPP, annihilationism, etc.), several of them gave the "wrong" answer on all of the above, including the NPP!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Iconoclast,

if you are able to obtain it, Doug Wilson has written a book called "The Paideia of God".

If you are familiar with Nominalism, you will find it clearly portrayed in this book. There is an essay on the "Great Logic Hoax" in which you will discover, among other essays in this book, that Wilson is a mathematical nominalist. In other words, he doesn't believe in the "idea of one"; he only believes in gravel roads and apples on tables that can be counted.

This shows up elsewhere (can you say FV?) when he talks about the "historical church" but doesn't like the idea of the "invisible church." Basically, he seems to dislike the idea of Realism, though (as a paradox-ist) he would affirm and deny Realism in the same breath.

By nominalism, not only has his philosophy of math been sunk, but his ecclesiology to boot. Also, Classicism is not Christian. To admire and train children in paganism is not countenanced by Scripture, no matter how many people did it who were "Reformed."

Cheers,

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back