The Fiery Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
John Rusk:

"..and the fire shall try every Man's work of what sort it is.'' 1 Cor. iii. 13.

As it hath pleased the Lord in His mercy to my poor soul to bring me into the path of tribulation, and in so doing to empty me from vessel to vessel, that I might not settle on my lees, and discriminate me from the many thousands of light and trifling professors in the awful day in which we now live; and having lately waded through deep waters and had heavy furnace work, in which the good work has been tried to the quick, and I have concluded that I should go down altogether-these things which I now have in view, have at such seasons appeared to me to be of the greatest importance, and I have felt a great desire to write upon the subject.

Much opposition I have met with from Satan in the attempt, who ever will oppose heart work. But being to-day confined at home through a complaint in my neck, and feeling the desire come again,

I opened the Bible,

looking up to the Lord; and the words which I have stated as a text were the words I opened on, and which have been on my mind for above a week. If I should find good in writing, and my reader good in reading, may the whole glory be to Him to whom alone it is due, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and the God of all their spiritual seed;

for He has taught me,
from feeling experience,
that without Him I can do nothing.

[latter]

What a blessed thing it is,

poor tried,

weak,

tempted,

despised,

and dejected follower of the Lord Jesus,

that the Saviour you trust can be touched with the feeling of your infirmities, and knows how to succour you! "He will not break the bruised reed, nor quench the smoking flax;" and though you may have waited long, yet He will be faithful to His word, for He has declared "They shall not be ashamed that wait for Him."

There is every encouragement in God's word for you, but nothing against you, though you often conclude there is; and it does not depend upon you in the smallest measure, but upon Him who is the Faithful and True Witness; and who having paid the ransom price of redemption, will see all His family brought safe home. "Father, I will that those whom Thou hast given Me be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory." Yes, not a hoof shall be left behind. And who are they? Why, the poor, the halt, the lame, the maimed, and the blind; yes, the foolish things of this world, the base, those that are lightly esteemed, those that are despised, and those that are not; and they shall all around the throne celebrate the perfections of God, and sing to all eternity,

"Unto Him that hath loved us, and washed us from our sins in His blood, and made us kings and priests unto God, to Him be glory, honour, dominion, and power, forever and ever!" - Scriptural Experimental, and Practical Remarks on the Lord's Dealings with His Poor Afflicted People Who go Through various Trails and sore Temptations, Both from Without and Within

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back