The Final Word on why we Should Sing the Psalms in Worship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings,

I consider the verse below to be the final word on why we should sing the Psalms in worship.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Try saying this about Isaac Watts.

Greetings,

I consider the verse below to be the final word on why we should sing the Psalms in worship.

Hebrews 4:12​
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I prefer singing Psalms myself in worship. But food for thought...

By this logic, should all preaching and theological books then be dismissed for sole reading of the Bible?

I prefer singing Psalms myself in worship. But food for thought...

By this logic, should all preaching and theological books then be dismissed for sole reading of the Bible?

Already thought this through. Notice what I didn't say. I didn't say exclusively. Which is a somewhat different subject.
Nor did I say it must be acapella. I consider myself patient while waiting for change.
Notice that I did not even post it in the Worship sub-category, Acapella Exclusive Psalmody.

But nice try. :)

It might be instructive to quote my denominations high regard for Scripture

From the PCA BOCO:
The Public Reading of the Holy Scriptures
50-1. The public reading of the Holy Scriptures is performed by the
minister as God’s servant. Through it God speaks most directly to the
congregation, even more directly than through the sermon. The reading of
the Scriptures by the minister is to be distinguished from the responsive
reading of certain portions of Scripture by the minister and the congregation.
In the former God addresses His people; in the latter God’s people give
expression in the words of Scripture to their contrition, adoration, gratitude
and other holy sentiments. The psalms of Scripture are especially
appropriate for responsive reading.

And:
51-3. It is recommended that Psalms be sung along with the hymns of the
Church, but that caution be observed in the selection of hymns, that they be
true to the Word. Hymns should have the note of praise, or be in accord with
the spirit of the sermon.

But I think true Psalms are rarely sung in the PCA. (and there are notable exceptions)

I think you well know (or at least you ought to) that there is no one who argues any such thing. Nor is @Ed Walsh even here to advocate for exclusive psalmody.

Perhaps you are hinting that the logical conclusion of exclusive psalmody is what you mention. If you do in fact think so, then I might suggest you make yourself familiar with the exclusive psalmodist's position.

My apologies to Mr. Walsh. It is not my intent to spur a debate here. I merely wish to prevent this discussion from becoming sidetracked over a misunderstanding.

I think you well know (or at least you ought to) that there is no one who argues any such thing. Nor is @Ed Walsh even here to advocate for exclusive psalmody.

Perhaps you are hinting that the logical conclusion of exclusive psalmody is what you mention. If you do in fact think so, then I might suggest you make yourself familiar with the exclusive psalmodist's position.

My apologies to Mr. Walsh. It is not my intent to spur a debate here. I merely wish to prevent this discussion from becoming sidetracked over a misunderstanding.

Ed has already clarified these things.

By this logic, should all preaching and theological books then be dismissed for the sole reading of the Bible?

I do have an answer to that.
Human compositions of Hymns, if allowed at all in worship, should as rigorously scrutinized as thoroughly as theological books and sermons. We are not allowed to check our brains at the coat rack because we are about to sing.

I posted this before but here goes part of it again...

Excerpt from a letter I wrote to my elder: (who is a godly and good friend)
Consider, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, as we all play pretend that we are
back there in maybe 168 B.C. hoping for the Messiah to come while enduring great
suffering under Antiochus (IV) Epiphanes. Who gave the Church the liberty to make up
historical fictions to praise post-Great Commission victor and Savior of the world Jesus
Christ, who now has received all power in heaven and earth from His almighty Father.
Shouldn't the words of songs of praise speak the truth? We hear of angels singing. No,
they don't. At least not in Scripture.

Songs by their nature are more likely to be remembered that sermons. Shouldn't they be
therefor held to the same standard of doctrine? Just imagine if you went to a church where
the opening prayer, without any forewarning, started with the theme of O come, O come
like this. Dear God, when will you send the promised Messiah? We are mourning in this
dreadful exile. Disperse the gloomy clouds of this night and remove death's dark shadows.
We are suffering from Satan's tyranny. etc. amen." And then proceeded with the sermon.
Anyway, you get what I mean. I think the original untranslated Latin would get just as
much emotion stirred as the English translation.

I don't think anyone on this board is going to say that one shouldn't sing Psalms in worship. But the verse also gives pretty good support for singing verses other than the Psalms.

But Ed, if we are going to have our "holy days" looking back looking forward in honor of Christ's acts of redemption, we're gonna need some hymns to go with those. You can stir two pots at once, that is for sure.

Moderating. And more seriously, Ed put this in the Worship forum and disclaims intending to discuss EP; we'll have to move it if folks persist in turning it into an EP discussion. We're not as fussy about the pretended holy days, but this practice goes back to when we had to have a moderated EP subforum. It is preferable to honor, when it is reasonable and sound, the thread author's parameters of discussion.

I do have an answer to that.
Human compositions of Hymns, if allowed at all in worship, should as rigorously scrutinized as thoroughly as theological books and sermons. We are not allowed to check our brains at the coat rack because we are about to sing.

I posted this before but here goes part of it again...

Excerpt from a letter I wrote to my elder: (who is a godly and good friend)
Consider, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, as we all play pretend that we are
back there in maybe 168 B.C. hoping for the Messiah to come while enduring great
suffering under Antiochus (IV) Epiphanes. Who gave the Church the liberty to make up
historical fictions to praise post-Great Commission victor and Savior of the world Jesus
Christ, who now has received all power in heaven and earth from His almighty Father.
Shouldn't the words of songs of praise speak the truth? We hear of angels singing. No,
they don't. At least not in Scripture.

Songs by their nature are more likely to be remembered that sermons. Shouldn't they be
therefor held to the same standard of doctrine? Just imagine if you went to a church where
the opening prayer, without any forewarning, started with the theme of O come, O come
like this. Dear God, when will you send the promised Messiah? We are mourning in this
dreadful exile. Disperse the gloomy clouds of this night and remove death's dark shadows.
We are suffering from Satan's tyranny. etc. amen." And then proceeded with the sermon.
Anyway, you get what I mean. I think the original untranslated Latin would get just as
much emotion stirred as the English translation.

Greetings,

Hebrews 4:12​

I certainly agree it's good to sing psalms in worship. But I also think we can say that many of the works of Isaac Watts, for example, fit that particular verse.

In our day, we are accustomed to the phrase Word of God being a name that means "Bible." So we might see that phrase and think it only means written Scriptures. But in the Bible, word of God also includes spoken prophetic revelations, preaching, godly encouragement of one another, etc. Gospel preaching, and not just Bible reading, is sharp and penetrating and is the word of God reaching the soul.

Absolutely, any song about Christ should be rigorously scrutinized. I say songs should be more carefully scrutinized than sermons and theological books. But an Isaac Watts gem like "Joy to the World" (not written to be a "Christmas song," by the way) seems to pass the test.

But Ed, if we are going to have our "holy days" looking back looking forward in honor of Christ's acts of redemption, we're gonna need some hymns to go with those. You can stir two pots at once, that is for sure.

Moderating. And more seriously, Ed put this in the Worship forum and disclaims intending to discuss EP; we'll have to move it if folks persist in turning it into an EP discussion. We're not as fussy about the pretended holy days, but this practice goes back to when we had to have a moderated EP subforum. It is preferable to honor, when it is reasonable and sound, the thread author's parameters of discussion.
Guys, my apologies if I misdirected this thread. I responded to Ed's OP earlier this morning on my phone as I was making breakfast. I was under the impression he was arguing for EP. After rereading, I realize I misinterpreted.

Ed - I completely agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back