The First Puritan(s) You Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 25 years ago, a friend gave me Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, closely followed by A Body of Divinty by Thomas Watson.

After that, my friend turned me loose in his library and I read Manton's Sermons and several volumes of Owens. I was hooked...then I started buying books for myself.

I now have several hundred volumes. And now I live by the saying, "So many books, so little time!:book2:

After reading Edward's sermon "Sinner's in the hands of an angry God" and being introduced to the puritans through reading much Spurgeon ... The 1st actual book written by a puritan author that I read was ...

Heaven On Earth
By: Thomas Brooks

2nd book was ...

Christ's Council To His Languishing Church
By: Obadiah Sedgwick

3rd book was ...

God's Terrible Voice In The City
By: Thomas Vincent

John Bunyons: The Pilgrims Progress

It was one of the most penetrating books I have ever read and has led to great self examination in my walk with the lord.

If I recall correctly, it was Owen's "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" - though it could very well have been John Flavel's "Mystery of Providence".

My first Puritans I read...

Chris Coldwell
Matthew Winzer
Andrew Myers
C. Matthew McMahon

...on the PuritanBoard.

Pilgrim's Progress, Then Spurgeon's sermons, God in the Hands of Angry Sinner's (oops, that would be the arminian version. Ha ha), and The Death of Death. in that order.

As seems to be the case with many others the first Puritan I read was John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. A book I try and read every second year and I never cease to be amazed by it each time I read it. John Flavel's Mystery of Providence followed but it was after reading his Fountain of Life that really got me into reading and studying the Puritans

Incidentally, I think the first full book I read by a Puritan was Durham's Exposition of the Ten Commandments.

Bunyan's "Pilgrims Progress" followed by Edwards "Sinners in the Hands of Angry God." Well more of a sermon than a book actually.

Same here, Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress years and years ago...

Which makes me want to comment. Any body get Ken Boa's Great Books Audio CD Series? This month's lecture is on Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress.

Others I have received: Augustine's Confessions & Blaise Pascal's Pensees.

Good stuff...

If you are referring to the Puritan era in a strict sense, the first Puritan book that I read was probably Richard Baxter's "The Reformed Pastor" followed by John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress". I have also read John Owen's "Mortification of Sin" and I am currently reading John Flavel's "Mystery Of Providence".

I have also read several of Jonathan Edwards writings including "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" and "Personal Narrative". I think one of my favorite works by Edwards however was "A Divine And Supernatural Light". And finally, Charles Spurgeon's "Soulwinner".

I began with the Bible, and then read "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" as required reading in my 8th grade English class in public school. Times sure were different back then.

Jonathan Edwards's Sinner's in the Hands of an Angry God and the "End for which God created the World" in junior year high school literature class.

Thomas Watson , Body of Divinity and the Westminster Standards.
I bought them from a book store run by some Reformed Baptists in Southern California back in 1976. Does anyone here remember that book store? I don't remember what town it was in because I was just there once, but it was the only one of its kind in the whole state. Lots of Jay Green stuff.

Edwards

As a freshman at Michigan State University we had to read some Jonathan Edwards and Cotton Mather. I think the selections were in a text by Perry Miller. I quickly figured out the thrust of the puritan message was being misrepresented. So I read more Edwards to prove my point. Following that I read the Canons of Dordt and Calvin's Institutes.
The next Puritan I read was John Owens. Owens is still my favorite.

Not sure if this counts, but it has many samples from puritans:

Joel R. Beeke's Puritan Reformed Spirituality

624970.jpg

This was one of the very first books I read upon discovering Calvinism and the Reformation.

If this is does not qualify then it would have to be The True Bounds of Christian Freedom by Samuel Bolton

bolton.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back