The Future of Ebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood-Bought Pilgrim

Puritan Board Freshman
This is a sort of random question, but it's one I've been thinking about: are ebooks destined to go the direction of so much else and primarily be accessible through subscriptions? Amazon has already created a service like this, and it seems most comparable products are primarily subscription-based now (music, TV, etc.). Is there any reason to think the ebook industry would remain different for any reason?

Disconnected thoughts:

There are places where you can buy movies for life; you pay X amount to download/stream Y movie forever (Amazon). This is similar to Kindle/Logos on the book side.

But for some movies, you can only stream it from the provider. Why? Because for certain content, the maker is the provider. Netflix makes X movie and you can only see X movie on Netflix. I think Zondervan having a subscription service which is the only place you can read Zondervan would be suicidal.

The nature of videos to theological books is different. Because video-viewing is more of consumption, you just take what you are offered. Theological books require a precision where one would want specific books.

Most people would not be attracted to a service that says, These are the theological books you have access to, take it or leave it.

--

Btw there are subscription models for ebooks already:

Logos has a subscription model for certain books: https://www.logos.com/connect/compare-subscriptions
Is this attractive? Not for me. I know what books I want, and I buy it, simple.

There are places like Scribd which hosts several publishers on a subscription basis.

I dont know about "going to" go down that path. Scribd already has a $12 a month subscription service, with an app you can put on a tablet/e-reader like Boox; and it has millions of books, many which are some of the best titles in theology including Bavinck, PRD's, Beekes Reformed Systematics, ect. But as far as them reaching a point where they are not individually for sale; I don't see that happening anytime soon. Both single title and subscription based sales are ways for ebook publishers to make money; and it would be wiser for them to utilize both instead of either/or.

Anyone use Perlego?
They have access to a lot of good publishers - Eerdmans, Lexham Press, IVP & AVP Academic, Baker Academic, Zondervan, Crossway, Wipf & Stock, etc.

Last edited:
Can you download the ebooks to an ereader, or are they only accessible via computer?
Short answer - no.
Like David mentioned in the case of Scribd, the only e-readers that can access them are those that have Android and Google Play, by downloading the native (Perlego) app itself. So that's a no for Kindle, Kobo and most others, but a yes for Onyx Boox, Boyou and I think a couple other niche brand devices. Obviously a normal tablet would also work.

There isn't just one revenue model for digital goods. We went through this with the video game industry about 15 years ago where everyone said it was all going subscription. It didn't. There are still plenty of people who don't want another monthly subscription and only want to spend on what they want. I am about ready to cancel my Kindle Unlimited sub after a couple months since I just don't use it enough.

There isn't just one revenue model for digital goods. We went through this with the video game industry about 15 years ago where everyone said it was all going subscription. It didn't. There are still plenty of people who don't want another monthly subscription and only want to spend on what they want. I am about ready to cancel my Kindle Unlimited sub after a couple months since I just don't use it enough.
I'm glad to hear that. I love my kindle but I don't really have any desire to buy a subscription, I'd still like to own my books in some sense.

I am going to cancel my audible subscription in favor of hoopla from my library.

I am going to cancel my audible subscription in favor of hoopla from my library.
Also, dont know if you are a Logos user, but I think one of the mentioned new feature of 10 is conversion to audiobook almost every book in your library. I still have 9, so I havent tested it personally yet.

Also, dont know if you are a Logos user, but I think one of the mentioned new feature of 10 is conversion to audiobook almost every book in your library. I still have 9, so I havent tested it personally yet.
I'd be curious what the quality is if anyone on here has tried it out. AI audiobooks have not been great in my experience, but technology is always improving!

That's interesting. Is that an AI generated thing?
If it is any book in your library, I am pretty sure it is. But having used Read Aloud, I can tell you that if you get the right voice, it is pleasant to listen to. AI voice overs have come a long way since they first started. and if you have a clean text, which all Logos books are, there should be no problem in converting them to audiobooks.

If it is any book in your library, I am pretty sure it is. But having used Read Aloud, I can tell you that if you get the right voice, it is pleasant to listen to. AI voice overs have come a long way since they first started. and if you have a clean text, which all Logos books are, there should be no problem in converting them to audiobooks.
So it doesn’t sound like Stephen Hawking?

That is really impressive and something I could actually tolerate listening to!

Thanks for sharing tech insights - I am not up to speed on all the advancements and your posts are helpful.

I have taken a lot of webinars about version 10, but this feature has not been mentioned.

As long as they are still downloadable, they can be saved and stored. So far this is still the case, especially when writings become public domain.

I love a physical copy of a book, especially a well made hardcover. However, I've transitioned to my iPad pro for most of my studies. It's too convenient. I use Scribd and like it fine, but many of their books are available on a rotational basis. There have been times when I'll start reading a book and it becomes unavailable halfway through. I'd also be more comfortable with it as the standard for ebooks if they made a citation feature for broke college students like myself who utilize it for research. Citing Scribd in Chicago/Turabian style format looks clunky and unprofessional.

I love a physical copy of a book, especially a well made hardcover. However, I've transitioned to my iPad pro for most of my studies. It's too convenient. I use Scribd and like it fine, but many of their books are available on a rotational basis. There have been times when I'll start reading a book and it becomes unavailable halfway through. I'd also be more comfortable with it as the standard for ebooks if they made a citation feature for broke college students like myself who utilize it for research. Citing Scribd in Chicago/Turabian style format looks clunky and unprofessional.
I recommend giving Perlego free trial a go since it apparently has a good referencing system, and doesn't stop you from reading part way through.

For anyone interested, Scribd offers a 30 day free trial, extendable to 60 days. They have many RHB titles available. Perlego has 7 days trial.

Comparing these two services specifically - Scribd has audiobooks which Perlego doesn't. Scribd seems to offer a wider range of books, often more on the popular level, whereas Perlego is geared more to textbooks and academic works. As in Matt's experience, Scribd will stop you reading/listening to certain books or from certain publishers if you are using them too much (which I think is very poor, given they claim unlimited access!). The greatest downside I have found with these subscription services, aside from obviously not owning the books, is that many titles from publishers may not be available. Scribd has some titles that Perlego does not, and vice versa. For example, currently available (in the UK) - Perlego only has the second and third books in David Clines' commentary on Job, and Scribd only has the first.

In spite of the downsides, for some people I think these are great services. The other day I was able to read what half a dozen of the best modern commentators had to say on the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5 in preparation for leading a Sunday school study. Buying all these commentaries would have cost me twice the price of the annual subscription I paid.

For anyone interested, Scribd offers a 30 day free trial, extendable to 60 days. They have many RHB titles available. Perlego has 7 days trial.

Comparing these two services specifically - Scribd has audiobooks which Perlego doesn't. Scribd seems to offer a wider range of books, often more on the popular level, whereas Perlego is geared more to textbooks and academic works. As in Matt's experience, Scribd will stop you reading/listening to certain books or from certain publishers if you are using them too much (which I think is very poor, given they claim unlimited access!). The greatest downside I have found with these subscription services, aside from obviously not owning the books, is that many titles from publishers may not be available. Scribd has some titles that Perlego does not, and vice versa. For example, currently available (in the UK) - Perlego only has the second and third books in David Clines' commentary on Job, and Scribd only has the first.

In spite of the downsides, for some people I think these are great services. The other day I was able to read what half a dozen of the best modern commentators had to say on the fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5 in preparation for leading a Sunday school study. Buying all these commentaries would have cost me twice the price of the annual subscription I paid.
For the layman that needs a range of books for a particular topic every week, indeed Scribd etc are great

Since I am vision-impaired, I listen to books and cannot (without a lot of work) read a physical book.
If I can buy a book I want on Logos I'll get it there forst because it is searchable and allows you to export texxt to Word 100 pages at a time. I've created 1000+ page Word documents this way and then I use Voice Dream on my iPhone to listen to them (stops and starts where you left off). I've listened to Turretin's Institutes (as an example) this way.
As for Kindle books, let's just say that there is a de-DRM plugin for Calibre that allows me to import the Kindle book and then convert to ePub. I then listen to that book on Voice Dream as well.

I have taken a lot of webinars about version 10, but this feature has not been mentioned.
Sorry I was slow to respond. I got a little busy, but here is the link to the feature in Logos.

Read Aloud

Hear narration of most English resources at home or on the go from the Logos desktop and mobile apps. Turn your favorite digital books into audiobooks with a single click as you deepen your study of Scripture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back