The God we must study to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Lord's Prayer, John 17:24), Works 2:155:

Some will study an absolute God; God as in himself. An absolute God is a pit, and an abyss, that all that go near it fall into it, and will be destroyed. It was a bold word of blessed Luther, “Let hypocrites and unbelievers do as they please, I will have nothing to do with an absolute God.” God as in his Son, God as in covenant with us in his Son, God as clothed with grace and mercy, shining in his promises in Christ, is the God we must study to know; and when by his grace we attain it, we may glory humbly in it; Jer. 9:24, “Let him that glorieth, glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord, which exercise loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.”

One could post this on FB and get a thumbs up from many fellow believers, but if one edits it to this...."To study God as in himself, is a pit, and an abyss, that all that go near it fall into it, and will be destroyed."

BTW I heartily give the entire quote a thumbs up, thank you for introducing us to Pastor Traill. :)

Last edited:
To what is Pastor Traill referring when he says an "absolute God"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To what is Pastor Traill referring when he says an "absolute God"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can not know God as He is in Himself (in se), but only how He accommodates Himself to us. In other words, the "accommodation" is not the divine in Himself, but this accommodation is true. This is why Jesus came in the flesh.

PS. This is the most difficult thing to "grasp" in that to delve into the divine essence should not looked into unless one looks into what God is not. For the Creator-creature distinction should be respected.

I. There is but one only,[1] living, and true God,[2] who is infinite in being and perfection,[3] a most pure spirit,[4] invisible,[5] without body, parts,[6] or passions;[7] immutable,[8] immense,[9] eternal,[10] incomprehensible,[11] almighty,[12] most wise,[13] most holy,[14] most free,[15] most absolute;[16] working all things according to the counsel of His own immutable and most righteous will,[17] for His own glory;[18] most loving,[19] gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin;[20] the rewarder of them that diligently seek Him;[21] and withal, most just, and terrible in His judgments,[22] hating all sin,[23] and who will by no means clear the guilty.[24]

So this would be saying then that God must choose to reveal Himself to us before mankind would even have a chance to unsderstand God at all?

So this would be saying then that God must choose to reveal Himself to us before mankind would even have a chance to unsderstand God at all?

If God "must" is an interesting question...though God has indeed revealed Himself through His creation. His creation is not God but the creation revealed He is.

Yes, as general revelation reveals to Us God exists, is powerful, creative etc, but only special revelations of the scriptures and Jesus show to us who God is in a saving fashion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back