The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
An NPR clip was interviewing a movie professor who said that Eastwood's The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly was the first postmodern movie. The appeal of the characters was solely for style and not for their substance. What do people think?

In my humble opinion the appeal of Eastwood et al was in the fact that they were portrayed with the inner man on the outside. One always KNEW what they were thinking..what they would do...there was no hidden agenda of a director or screenwriter in their portrayals of their respective characters. IN this way...sort of an inside-out portrayal of their substance.

Each character brought their own substance to the movie, each one was like their own mini story...

NPR does not for me garner the best of the critics or appraisers for anything....

Grace: I am not a fan of NPR either. Yet, I think something rings true. Eastwood's character does not even have a name. He is mostly style. The only character development I can recall is the one scene where Tuco lies to Eastwood about his parents (following the encounter with Tuco's priest brother who told Eastwood more).

TGBU draws people into an essentially amoral world through the power of style.

The best Eastwood movies, the ones that made him, were the ones filmed in Spain by a Spanish director (can't think of his name). "Fist full of dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" and "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" are my favorites. They would have been totally different if they had been filmed here. They would have been like "Paint Your Wagon." :lol: I think the better ones done here later came after the spagetti westerns made in Spain were well-received.

ahhhh AHHHH ahhhh AHHHHHhhaaaaah

Wahhhh
Waahhhhhhh
wahhhhh

The music was the coolest.

So was the scene where he gives the young confederate soldier his last drag of a cigar in a blown up church.:tombstone:

Originally posted by Scott
Grace: I am not a fan of NPR either. Yet, I think something rings true. Eastwood's character does not even have a name. He is mostly style. The only character development I can recall is the one scene where Tuco lies to Eastwood about his parents (following the encounter with Tuco's priest brother who told Eastwood more).

TGBU draws people into an essentially amoral world through the power of style.

Your opinion. I have mine. It is what each of sees not what we tell each other to see.

Grace: I think it is a common opinion among movie critics (eg. Jean Baudrillard) that Sergio Leone was the first postmodern movie producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back