The Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
"For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures." The Apostle Paul

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.—1 Timothy 3:16

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.—Titus 2:11-14

God is reclaiming a lost people to Himself through the work of His Son, God in human flesh, Jesus Christ, who died to justify the ungodly and to show the justice and love of God.

The gospel (extra short) in bold letters:
"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." (1Tim.1:15)

practical syllogism:
1) Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners (cf. Mt.1:21-25)
2) I am a sinner, if not the chief (cf. Rom.3:23)
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" (Act.16:31)​
3) Jesus Christ is the Savior, and mine
"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus" (Rom.8:1)​
4) :. I am saved and secure through my union with Christ

The gospel and its implications can be boiled down to a pithy phrase, but it required God a library of 66 books to fully tell the good news story, together with all its general implications, prior and post (which are distinct from the gospel itself). The summary cannot do full justice to the exposition at large. But hopefully it leads as an introduction to a fruitful discussion.

About five years ago, I found myself in the position of having to provide a one-sentence gospel summary that would be published. I ended up with: "...all Jesus is and all he's done by his life, death, and resurrection to save those who are joined to him."

I included all Jesus is because I wanted to give a sense that the greatest blessing we receive is Christ himself. The rest just draws on 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, adding a mention of Christ's life.

I think I did okay. If I were to rewrite it today, I might want to take another small step beyond those first few verses of 1 Corinthians 15 and include a nod to the work Christ has yet to consummate and his future triumph at the end of the age.

I just preached Luke 15 yesterday. I don't like "one sentence" answers to something but...

"There is more rejoicing in heaven over one man who repents than 99 who have no need for repentance."

To “preach” the gospel is to tell the truth about God to tell the truth about man to tell the truth about Jesus Christ and to tell the truth about salvation.

A summary would be “death in Adam and life in Christ”.
Not explicit enough I suppose.

We can all know the gospel but have we been given to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back