The grand gospel motive to holiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (Sermons from 1 Peter 1:1-4), Works 4:61:

I know the common topics for holiness that are mainly managed by preachers, and that are mightily relished by many hearers. Such and such things are plainly commanded by God, therefore do them; such things are plainly threatened by God, therefore forbear them; such a practice is encouraged by a promise, therefore engage in it. These are the common topics of holiness, and a natural man may have some gust and relish of such things; but the grand gospel motive to holiness, none but a believer can have any sense of: “I am sprinkled by the blood of Jesus Christ, therefore I must be holy; I am delivered by Christ from all sin, therefore I must be holy.” How shall we that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? saith the apostle, Rom. 6:2. “And how came we to be dead to sin, but by Christ’s dying for us in our sins, and thereby delivering us from our sins; and therefore we will cast them off by the help of his grace.” It is the promise, Sin shall not have dominion over you; for ye are not under the law, but under grace, Rom. 6:14. This is an argument of special force, but its force is only known and felt by a lively believer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back