The Guanabara Confession of Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
The Guanabara Confession of Faith, or Martyrs' Confession, written by French Huguenots at the colony of La France Antarctique in what became Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1558, was the first Protestant confession of faith written in the New World. The text in English is available online here (a new English translation is forthcoming in the next volume of James T. Dennison, Jr.'s Reformed Confessions series):

Links and Downloads Manager - Confession of Faith - Guanabara Confession of Faith - The PuritanBoard

Hey, thanks for that. Fascinating. I had thought that the Belgic Confession was the only Reformation confession written by a martyr. But now I see that I was wrong....

Hey, thanks for that. Fascinating. I had thought that the Belgic Confession was the only Reformation confession written by a martyr. But now I see that I was wrong....

You're very welcome! It is a deeply moving story that led to this powerful testimony for Christ which is recounted, for any who may be interested, by James I. Good in the July-September 2005 issue of Leben starting at p. 13:

The First Protestant Missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back