The Heidelberg Catechism on the "Holy Catholic Church".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen L Smith

Administrator
Staff member
When I was younger, I was confused as to why the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed both used the term 'Holy Catholic' Church. I thought 'horror of horrors' we don't believe in the Roman Catholic Church!

However, I recently discovered that the Heidelberg Catechism is very helpful on this:

Q 54. What do you believe concerning the "Holy Catholic Church"?

A. I believe that the Son of God, through His Spirit and Word, out of the entire human race, from the beginning of the world to its end, gathers, protects, and preserves for Himself a community chosen for eternal life and united in true faith. And of this community I am and always will be a living member.

When I was younger, I was confused as to why the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed both used the term 'Holy Catholic' Church. I thought 'horror of horrors' we don't believe in the Roman Catholic Church!

When Ted Donnelly was at school, they used to recite the Apostles' Creed in the mornings. Given that he was from a staunchly Protestant area of Belfast, some of the young scholars recited, "I believe in the Holy Protestant Church." :lol:

My grandparents once attended a Baptist church, and, ignorant of the Apostles' Creed on account of their Pentecostalism, came home rather confused.

"They're Catholic!" my grandfather exclaimed.

I remember my dad's bewildered expression:
"What? How can they be Baptist and Catholic?"

:D

Kath 'Holicos means according to the whole. (Interestingly, it does not mean universal. There is a word for that, ecumenical).

However, I recently discovered that the Heidelberg Catechism is very helpful on this:

Q 54. What do you believe concerning the "Holy Catholic Church"?

A. I believe that the Son of God, through His Spirit and Word, out of the entire human race, from the beginning of the world to its end, gathers, protects, and preserves for Himself a community chosen for eternal life and united in true faith. And of this community I am and always will be a living member.
So the ESV Catholic Bible is all good then, right?

I grew up in a church where most people were bilingual, speaking both English and Navajo. Singing was in both languages. Preaching was mostly in English.

But when we recited the creed, it was usually in Navajo. Why? The pastor (my dad) thought the "catholic" reference was confusing and he didn't like having to explain what it meant. The easy way out was to use a Navajo translation, where the problem doesn't exist.

By the way... I think I've decided that the part of the Heidelberg where it handles the creed is its strongest section. I'm teaching through the creed this year (five minutes at a time, every Sunday morning) and the Heidelberg has been my most helpful guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back