The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Discussion in 'Movies' started by irresistible_grace, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irresistible_grace

irresistible_grace Puritan Board Junior

Who else has seen it?
    Or plans on going to see it soon?
    This was or first trip to the movie theater as a family this afternoon ...
    WE COULDN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL for it to come out on DVD!
    It was worth every penny.
    It was AMAZING.
    Just like the first Hobbit, you will know from the commercials that there are characters in the movie that are nowhere to be found in the book but we don't mind changes. We love Peter Jackson's version as much as we love Tolkien's version. The Desolation of Smaug ties in a little more with the LOTR than the first & leaves you on the edge of your seat... wanting more...

2. irresistible_grace

Avoiding spoilers...
    Any comments or thoughts about The Desolation of Smaug?
    Did you like it better than An Unexpected Journey?

3. jandrusk

jandrusk Puritan Board Sophomore

Saw one guy on Twitter said it was horrible. He felt it was not true to the Hobbit story line.

4. George Bailey

George Bailey Puritan Board Freshman

*************spoilers*****************
    I thought it was decent, but I don't think J.R.R. Would have recognized it as his book. It had the story in general, but would have been better without:

1. Sexual innuendos
    2. Dorky elf-dwarf love story
    3.stupid slapstick barrels do not the river....was I watching a video game?

Just my 2 pennies.....

5. irresistible_grace

I think I missed 1 - I think I know what you are taking about though.
    I kind of liked 2 (especially because my 6 year old has a crush on that dwarf & has been excited about meeting Tauriel since she learned of her character last year)!
    And, 3 reminded me of the LOTR ... it takes the edge of the gore of the combat & makes the fighting more bearable

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. irresistible_grace

I obviously disagree with "one guy on Twitter."
    My response would echo what FenderPriest said last year about the first Hobbit movie in this trilogy...
    I could tell which scene was coming next scene by scene having read the book ...
    Then again, I never expected it to be line for line from the book. I think Peter Jackson is a artist & good at what he does. So, I wasn't disappointed! My children loved it.

7. Jack K

Jack K Puritan Board Professor

My son is very eager to see it. I'll probably take him, despite the fact that I'm only a slight fan of the books and found the first Hobbit installment to be far inferior to the Lord of the Rings movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.