The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Status
Not open for further replies.

irresistible_grace

Puritan Board Junior
Who else has seen it?
Or plans on going to see it soon?
This was or first trip to the movie theater as a family this afternoon ...
WE COULDN'T WAIT UNTIL APRIL for it to come out on DVD!
It was worth every penny.
It was AMAZING.
Just like the first Hobbit, you will know from the commercials that there are characters in the movie that are nowhere to be found in the book but we don't mind changes. We love Peter Jackson's version as much as we love Tolkien's version. The Desolation of Smaug ties in a little more with the LOTR than the first & leaves you on the edge of your seat... wanting more...

Saw one guy on Twitter said it was horrible. He felt it was not true to the Hobbit story line.

*************spoilers*****************
I thought it was decent, but I don't think J.R.R. Would have recognized it as his book. It had the story in general, but would have been better without:

1. Sexual innuendos
2. Dorky elf-dwarf love story
3.stupid slapstick barrels do not the river....was I watching a video game?

Just my 2 pennies.....

*************spoilers*****************
I thought it was decent, but I don't think J.R.R. Would have recognized it as his book. It had the story in general, but would have been better without:

1. Sexual innuendos
2. Dorky elf-dwarf love story
3.stupid slapstick barrels do not the river....was I watching a video game?

Just my 2 pennies.....

I think I missed 1 - I think I know what you are taking about though.
I kind of liked 2 (especially because my 6 year old has a crush on that dwarf & has been excited about meeting Tauriel since she learned of her character last year)!
And, 3 reminded me of the LOTR ... it takes the edge of the gore of the combat & makes the fighting more bearable

Last edited:
Saw one guy on Twitter said it was horrible. He felt it was not true to the Hobbit story line.
I obviously disagree with "one guy on Twitter."
My response would echo what FenderPriest said last year about the first Hobbit movie in this trilogy...
FenderPriest said:
I'd say that this is basically someone reading*"The Hobbit"*through the lens of*"The Lord of the Rings + Appendices", which is exactly what they did. To be honest, if one made a straight Hobbit film word for word, line for line from the book, the characters would be ridiculous and silly in light of the*"Lord of the Rings". Thankfully, they didn't do that. However, it essentially scene for scene, which is kind of expected given the length of the book.
I could tell which scene was coming next scene by scene having read the book ...
Then again, I never expected it to be line for line from the book. I think Peter Jackson is a artist & good at what he does. So, I wasn't disappointed! My children loved it.

My son is very eager to see it. I'll probably take him, despite the fact that I'm only a slight fan of the books and found the first Hobbit installment to be far inferior to the Lord of the Rings movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back