The Holy Jerusalem - Ebenezer Erskine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
The Rev. Ebenezer Erskine speaking of "the holy Jerusalem" (The Whole Works of the Late Rev. Ebenezer Erskine, vol. 1, pp. 400–401)

[A]ll believers, while yet upon earth, are said to be actually come unto Mount Zion, and unto the heavenly Jerusalem: and the New Jerusalem, described in the preceding chapter, is said, ver. 10, to 'descend from God out of heaven;' because all believers, who are the only true citizens, are born from above, and are entered into the kingdom of God. She is a city for habitation, Ps. 107:7, 'He led them forth by the right way, that they might go to a city of habitation” a city of traffic, here the commodities of heaven are exposed to sale, and that at a low rate, 'without money and without price,' Is. 55:1; a city for strength, walled about with salvation, Is. 26:1, 'We have a strong city, salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks;' a city for refuge, a city for immunities, a city for beauty and compactness; a royal city, for there the great King hath his residence, 'The Lord hath chosen Zion: he hath desired it for his habitation. This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell, for I have desired it.' Ps. 132:13, 14.

I remark here, that this city has streets in it; for the tree of life is said to be in the midst of the street of the city; where, by the street, I understand the ordinances of divine appointment, especially those of a public nature. Song 3:2, The spouse there, when she could not find her Lord in more private retirements, she enters upon a resolution to arise, and go through 'the streets and broad ways' of the city of God, to see if she could find 'him whom her soul loved;' where, by the streets and broad ways, it is agreed by interpreters, the public ordinances of divine worship are to be understood. And, Prov. 8:1, wisdom is said 'to cry in the streets;' that is, in the public ordinances of worship, which are so called, because as the street of a city is the place where the inhabitants gather together in concourse, so these ordinances are the public concourse of the Church of God, 'whither the tribes of the Lord go up, to worship at his footstool.' And in these streets and broad ways of ordinances, the inhabitants of the city of God have sweet fellowship and communion with the Lord.​

Not quite sure why he referenced Proverbs 8:1 about wisdom crying in the streets. Did he mean Proverbs 1:20?

Not quite sure why he referenced Proverbs 8:1 about wisdom crying in the streets. Did he mean Proverbs 1:20?
I can't know dogmatically, but I presume the reference in chapter 8 is comprehensive of the previous references of wisdom's cries. Also, the context in ch. 8 bears out the same.

1648384253761.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back