The Huguenots

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I just stumbled across the name of Henry Martyn Baird (1832-1906), who was a professor of Greek language and literature at NYU for 47 years (1859-1906).

Despite what was contained in his teaching load, however, he is remembered today for his extensive writings about the Huguenots of France. He published 6 volumes on the subject, published in 2-volume sets:

History of the Rise of the Huguenots of France, 2 volumes (1879). Covers the period from 1512 to 1574, including the massacre on St. Bartholomew's Day.

The Huguenots and Henry of Navarre, 2 volumes (1886). Covers the period from 1574 to 1610, or to the death of Henry IV, including the Wars of the League, the abjuration of Henry IV, and the enactment of the Edict of Nantes.

The Huguenots and the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, 2 volumes (1895). Covers the period from 1610 to 1802, terminating with the full recognition of Protestantism by Napoleon.

The information quoted above comes from the Baird book I'm now reading, Theodore Beza (1519-1605): The Counsellor of the French Reformation, published in 1899.

It all looks very interesting, especially since I know next to nothing about the Huguenots. Kinda makes me wonder why Baird bothered with Greek literature.

I'd bet that such a thorough history of the Huguenots has not been undertaken in modern times.

I have his works. He is indeed one of the premier nineteenth century Huguenot historians, along with his brother Charles, who wrote the History of Huguenot Emigration to America.

I meant to include the History of the Rise of the Huguenots of France (2 volumes), 1879, by Henry M. Baird. Highly recommended. The Baird brothers were great 19th century Huguenot historians. :up:

This work is being reprinted by Tentmaker Publications.

Henry Baird's Theodore Beza: The Counsellor of the French Reformation is available online here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back