The Incomparable Mike Vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
I'm hoping some friends here saw the MNF game last night. It wasn't much of a competitive game, but it was indeed an historic night. I truly believe Mike Vick played the single greatest NFL game ever by a quarterback last night. If you missed it here is the synopsis of what he did:

Vick completed 20 of 28 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns and ran for 80 yards and two scores on just eight carries as the Eagles trounced the Redskins 59-28Monday night. Vick became the first player in NFL history to throw for 300 yards, run for 50, throw for four touchdowns and run for two touchdowns in the same game. Even more amazing, he did all his damage save for 10 yards of passing in the first three quarters. He completed long bombs, precision passes and magician-like flips and screens, while making all the right reads and doing tremendous damage on the ground. He had a perfect passer rating and a whopping 11.9 yards per attempt passing and 10.0 yards per attempt rushing and was nothing short of breathtaking.

Even better, here are the highlights.

I watched the first half at the pub and was amazed with his performance in just the first quarter! I went home and went to bed, but I knew after the half that it was going to end up truly amazing (whether a win or a loss). I wonder how McNabb felt watching all of that from the other side! :lol:

I truly believe Mike Vick played the single greatest NFL game ever by a quarterback last night.

Ummm. Watch and learn my young friend.

YouTube - John Elway's The Drive: 1986 AFC Championship - With ALL plays.

I tend to agree with Pastor Klein. Sure, Vick was impeccable statistically. but it was hardly a pressure situation - in which the men are separated from the boys. Elway's drive was a show of true grit with everything on the line.

I truly believe Mike Vick played the single greatest NFL game ever by a quarterback last night.

Ummm. Watch and learn my young friend.

YouTube - John Elway's The Drive: 1986 AFC Championship - With ALL plays.

I'll give you that the Elway scenario was on a much bigger stage - AFC Championship vs week 9 MNF game is not really comparable. As for the QB play, it's not even close. The way Vick was playing last night, he didn't even get to have impressive drives because he was scoring in only a play or two on each drive!

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Is that the guy who fought dogs?

yup. He's also the guy who went to prison for his crimes. He served his time for doing the crime, so I don't really see that as an issue anymore.

I'll give you that the Elway scenario was on a much bigger stage - AFC Championship vs week 9 MNF game is not really comparable.

You should have quit there. Greatness has always been measured by what you do in the big moments. Vick's game will be forgotten. Elway's won't.

I'll give you that the Elway scenario was on a much bigger stage - AFC Championship vs week 9 MNF game is not really comparable.

You should have quit there. Greatness has always been measured by what you do in the big moments. Vick's game will be forgotten. Elway's won't.

Quite true. That is why QB's like Staubach, Montan, Elway, et al were truly great. I used to love watching them lead an offense in a pressure situation. You don't really see that much anymore. At least not with the consistency that men like that pulled off. At times when they had limited time and a must score situation it was almost not an if they would pull it off but a how.

(Notice, too, many of these games were played in less that ideal conditions: worn turf (not fake), mud, and bad weather.)

I just watched the clip that Ken posted. The offensive blocking is incredible! I'd forgotten how good it was. That is one thing that all great QB's have: great linemen. They are the true heros of football, especially centers ;)

I too thought it was a brilliant game! Go Eagles!

Sorry, a brilliant games involves an offense overcoming an equal or superior defense. That didn't happen in this case. The Redskins are ranked last in the NFL in overall defense. Next to last in pass defense. They could make anyone look like a Hall of Famer. Vick is not legit. Not yet.

I promise you people won't forget Vick anytime soon. And some of you guys are clearly being biased. I don't know if it's the dog issue or age or race or what, but their is some clear bias in not giving Vick his due when he clearly played one of the most amazing games EVER by an NFL QB last night. And lest you think I'm just the one being biased toward Vick, I would like to point out 2 things 1) I despise the Philadelphia Eagles organization. Nothing pains me more than to see them having success, yet even I won't deny the show Vick put on last night. 2) watch and/or listen to a sports show today. Vick is all they are talking about. The announcers last night, including men who have forgotten more football than we know combined, said Vick's game was one for the ages. Surely they aren't all wrong too?

I don't care about football and I don't care about Vick fighting dogs. I brought it up to be silly. In all honesty, we kill duck, deer, cows, etc. People have anthropomorphized dogs into some sort of untouchable creature. I don't care if people fights dogs. Don't mess with my dogs though.

That said, Vick will probably always be remembered for the dog fighting. He sounds like a great football player. However, unless the perfect moment to be known as great arises, I doubt he'll be known for anything in the future except for the dog fighting. If it weren't for the dog fighting, he'd probably just be forgotten.

History forgets all sorts of people who are outstanding at one thing or another. It takes a special combination of outstanding talent, outstanding circumstances, and actually delivering under those circumstances to be remembered as great. Vick may never get that chance. He seems like a great player though.

I don't care about football and I don't care about Vick fighting dogs. I brought it up to be silly. In all honesty, we kill duck, deer, cows, etc. People have anthropomorphized dogs into some sort of untouchable creature. I don't care if people fights dogs. Don't mess with my dogs though.

No kidding. Go to China. There, people walk their birds and eat their dogs, instead of the other way around.

You've got to be kidding. :wow:

Vick is a good quarterback. But that game was not one that tested greatness. The defense he was against was easy pickings. Sure, it let him showcase his skills. . . without real pressure.

I promise you people won't forget Vick anytime soon. And some of you guys are clearly being biased. I don't know if it's the dog issue or age or race or what, but their is some clear bias in not giving Vick his due when he clearly played one of the most amazing games EVER by an NFL QB last night. And lest you think I'm just the one being biased toward Vick, I would like to point out 2 things 1) I despise the Philadelphia Eagles organization. Nothing pains me more than to see them having success, yet even I won't deny the show Vick put on last night. 2) watch and/or listen to a sports show today. Vick is all they are talking about. The announcers last night, including men who have forgotten more football than we know combined, said Vick's game was one for the ages. Surely they aren't all wrong too?

Our society is full of overblown rhetoric. This game will be forgotten by the time the Eagles suit up for the Giants. Fans are fickle like that.

When Vick was with Atlanta I thought he was going to be one of the best QB's ever. To bad he made some bad choices. I still think he is one of the most gifted QB's ever to play the game. He can do it all.

I promise that we will forget Vick soon because any week now he is going to suffer a season-ending injury. It is inevitable with his style of play.

Didn't see the game, but it sure sounds like he had a big one. It was very smart for the Eagles to pick him up.

...but I'd still take Brady or P. Manning any day of the week.

Vick is a good quarterback. But that game was not one that tested greatness. The defense he was against was easy pickings. Sure, it let him showcase his skills. . . without real pressure.

I never said that Vick was one of the greatest QB's of all time, I said he had arguably the greatest single NFL game by a QB of all-time. Big difference. For people to dismiss the game and what he did like it was nothing special have to either be biased against him or not know anything about football. It's okay to not care about football. I don't care about any other sports. To each his own. But to say that the record setting night Vick had was only because the defense let him is ludicrous. If that were true, then wouldn't every other QB the Redskins have played have had similar games? I just don't understand why people won't give credit where credit is blatantly due.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Our society is full of overblown rhetoric. This game will be forgotten by the time the Eagles suit up for the Giants. Fans are fickle like that.

well seeing as how Vick set a few NFL records, I doubt it.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

When Vick was with Atlanta I thought he was going to be one of the best QB's ever. To bad he made some bad choices. I still think he is one of the most gifted QB's ever to play the game. He can do it all.

this is an honest, accurate summation. He came into the league with loads of talent, he made some horrible decisions, which he was deservedly punished for, and now he is back playing even better than he did before. He is showing a skill set now the before that he lacked.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

...but I'd still take Brady or P. Manning any day of the week.

yeah, hard to argue against those two. They are already two of the all-time greats.

Put no hope in Vick, he's one of us! Is his story one of Christian redemption, who knows? But his temporal redemption is undeniable. How his story goes who knows, but one sees a shadow of promise in this young mans life.

you can post your :down: all you want. You're not hurting my feelings any but apparently I stepped on some toes. I did not accuse anyone here of being racial at all. I don't see where anyone has. I was making that point that for a person (anyone, here on PB or elsewhere) to deny that Vick's performance in the Monday night game was nothing short of spectacular, would have to be biased against Vick in some way. The reason I say this is because statistically it was proven to be one of the best NFL games every played by a QB. So then what would be the reasons someone would not give Vick his due credit? The only answer is a bias of some sort. What biases could possibly exist against Vick? Well let's see (in no particular order):
1) don't like the Eagles
2) don't like Vick because of the dog-fighting history
3) don't like the new, younger breed of NFL players
4) don't like to see a black QB (traditionally in times past a 'white' role) having success
5) this one's a stretch but maybe a Redskins fan?

If you don't exhibit any of those biases against Vick, then good, because one has no reason to, but please don't try to convince me that no one hold any of those biases because I personally know that to be untrue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back