The incomprehensible pain of hell (Robert Rollock)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The pain of Hell passes all measure. The Scripture for our capacity sets down a comprehensible pain to signify an incomprehensible pain. O, the incomprehensible pain of Hell! Always when thou seest a pain intolerable, think on Hell. And say, O Lord, this pain on me albeit it be in the flesh, it is exceeding sore: therefore, Lord save me from that exceeding pain in Hell.

Robert Rollock, Lectures upon the first and second Epistles of Paul to the Thessalonians (Edinburgh: Robert Charteris, 1606), p. 240.

I have quoted this before but here it is again. This Q & A shakes me to the very core.

From Fisher's Catechism, on the Westminster Shorter Catechism, sub-question 40 of the SC Q4., What is God?
On God's omnipresence.

Q. 40. How is he [God] present in hell?
A. In a way of tremendous power and justice, upholding the damned in their being,
that they may lie under the strokes of his vindictive wrath forevermore, Psalm 90:11; Matt. 25:46.

shakes me to the very core.
I have similar feelings about this section from Thomas Watson:

Eternity is a sea without bottom and banks. After millions of years, there is not one minute in eternity wasted; and the damned must be ever burning, but never consuming, always dying, but never dead. “They shall seek death, but shall not find it” (Rev. 9:6)....
Yet, if at the end of all that time, the sinner might come out of hell, there would be some hope; but that word ‘Ever’ breaks the heart. “The smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever.”
~T. Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back