The Judgment Seat of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformingstudent

Puritan Board Junior
Something Christians to look forward to or dread?

Me? I'm scared to death of the idea of standing before our Great King to be Judged by Him and having my so called works evaluated. Anyone else share this view?
I know I am saved but I also know that we must all appear before Him. Knowing Christ as my Saviour doesn't necessarily take away my fear of Him as my Judge.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

***Something Christians to look forward to or dread?

Me? I'm scared to death of the idea of standing before our Great King to be Judged by Him and having my so called works evaluated. Anyone else share this view?***

Our sins were imputed to Christ and will never be held against us.Romans 4:8.Christ paid our penalty for the sins we made, we currently do, and what we will do in the future.We are dead to the law,in Christ.He has covered our sins and will not remember them.We are wearing the robe of righteousness of Christ.On the day of judgment God only sees the imputed robe of righteousness.It should be a day of glory.

andreas.:candle:

[Edited on 23-12-2004 by andreas]

I take great comfort in Romans 8 and Psalm 51. The Psalms, indeed, were indited by the Holy Spirit, but written by men who knew that they had no standing with God apart from his grace, which is abundant in measure to all that call upon God in spirit and in truth. It is right to fear the Lord -- this is the beginning of wisdom -- but it is also right that we should cast ourselves upon the mercy of God and take comfort in the love that he bears toward his saints.

Psalm 32

A Psalm of David, Maschil.

1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

2 Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.

4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.

5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

6 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him.

7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.

8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.

9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the LORD, mercy shall compass him about.

11 Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.

Psalm 86

A Prayer of David.

1 Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy.

2 Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.

3 Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.

4 Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.

5 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

6 Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.

7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

8 Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.

9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.

10 For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

12 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.

13 For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

14 O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them.

15 But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.

16 O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid.

17 Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me.

Psalm 130

A Song of degrees.

1 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD.

2 Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.

3 If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?

4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

5 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.

6 My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.

7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.

8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Originally posted by andreas

Me? I'm scared to death of the idea of standing before our Great King to be Judged by Him and having my so called works evaluated. Anyone else share this view?***

Our sins were imputed to Christ and will never be held against us.Romans 4:8.Christ paid our penalty for the sins we made, we currently do, and what we will do in the future.We are dead to the law,in Christ.He has covered our sins and will not remember them.We are wearing the rope of righteousness of Christ.On the day of judgment God only sees the imputed rope of righteousness.It should be a day of glory.

Amen. We were judged, if you will, on the cross of Christ. We will be vindicated on the day of judgment. In glorified bodies we will be received into eternal hapiness.

2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

Is this the same as the Great white throne judgment in Revelation 20 or is it an altogether different judgment for believers only?

Revelation 20:11-12 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fed away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

When does this Judgment take place, immediately after death or in the future with all the saints at one time? If all our sins have already been judged at Calvary (and I believe
that they were) Why than do Christians have to be there at the judgment seat? I believe it is a judgment of Service rendered, not sins committed. As someone once said, what we do now counts for eternity.

[Edited on 23-12-2004 by Keylife_fan]

SNIP

Christ.On the day of judgment God only sees the imputed rope of righteousness.It should be a day of glory.

I know Rahab the Harlot was thankful for the "Rope" of righteousness. :) Joshua 2:18, 6: 23-25

<<<SNIP

Christ.On the day of judgment God only sees the imputed rope of righteousness.It should be a day of glory.

I know Rahab the Harlot was thankful for the "Rope" of righteousness. >>>

soorry forr thee spelink mistage.it shoulde hava bean ROBE,NOTE ROPE.

<<<SNIP

I know Rahab the Harlot was thankful for the "Rope" of righteousness. >>>

soorry forr thee spelink mistage.it shoulde hava bean ROBE,NOTE ROPE.

No offense meant andreas. Was just trying to show how the scralet cord (rope) represented the blood of Christ and how she was saved by it. Wasn't mocking your typo.

Peace.

***When does this Judgment take place, immediately after death or in the future with all the saints at one time? If all our sins have already been judged at Calvary (and I believe
that they were) Why than do Christians have to be there at the judgment seat? I believe it is a judgment of Service rendered, not sins committed. As someone once said, what we do now counts for eternity.***

It will take place on the last day,and all, including believers, will appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ.

"For we shall all appear before the judgment seat of Christ.
For it is written,as I live,saith the Lord,every knee shall bow to Me,and every tongue shall confess to God.
So then every one of us shall give an account of himself to God. Rom 14:10-12.

Two books will be opened, of Life and of deeds. The names written in the Book of Life, will be pronounced innocent . The unsaved, are not in the book of Life, The records of their deeds (even every idle word "“ Mt 12:36) will be judged, and the unsaved will be cast into the lake of fire.

And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Rev 20:11-15

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Mt 12:36

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world . . . Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels . . . And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. Mt 25:31-34, 41, 46

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that everyone may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 2 Cor 5:10

Since the believers are covered with Christ's robe of righteousness their deeds will not condemn them,Isa. 43:25,while the unbelievers will face the wrath of God, for they appear naked ,their sins fully exposed to God,and will be condemned,for the wages of sin is death. Romans 5:23.
We all have to appear before God, because He says so.I do not believe that there are rewards in heaven for believers, for there is only one reward for all.

"I am thy shield,and thy exceeding great reward".Genesis 15:1

If 2 Cor. 5:21 is correct, then I stand (even now) before the Father with the same relational "right-standing" that Christ Himself has. Christ will not fear the great and terrible day of His judgment, neither should we. We are "hidden" in the cleft of the Rock, having "put on" Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back