The Kingdom of God - Luke 13:18-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel M.

Puritan Board Freshman
He said therefore, “What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? It is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his garden, and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.”

20 It is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, until it was lall leavened.”

Can we make the inference from this text that, ever since Christ's ascension, the kingdom of God has only grown and grown? Does this mean that, no matter how bad the church looks on the outside, the kingdom of God is always growing somewhere and never really in decline?

I ask because it is a rarity that growth in the natural world happens in stages of growth, shrinking, and then growth again. Additionally, it seems to me that many postmillenialists believe that the kingdom of God will enjoy a long period of prosperity, influence and prominence leading up to the return of Christ, where as amillenialists tend to see the church undergoing tremendous persecution and apostasy at Christ's return.

Any thoughts?

He said therefore, “What is the kingdom of God like? And to what shall I compare it? It is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his garden, and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.”

20 It is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, until it was lall leavened.”

Can we make the inference from this text that, ever since Christ's ascension, the kingdom of God has only grown and grown? Does this mean that, no matter how bad the church looks on the outside, the kingdom of God is always growing somewhere and never really in decline?

I ask because it is a rarity that growth in the natural world happens in stages of growth, shrinking, and then growth again. Additionally, it seems to me that many postmillenialists believe that the kingdom of God will enjoy a long period of prosperity, influence and prominence leading up to the return of Christ, where as amillenialists tend to see the church undergoing tremendous persecution and apostasy at Christ's return.

Any thoughts?

I am historical premil, so would tend to see it as you would regarding how te world will be until time of the Second Coming!
Do think Jesus meant that His Kingdom will keep on expanding, as more brought into His body in salvation, until He returms!

Any thoughts?
It's a parable and should be read as such in relation to other parables and parts of Scripture. Usually it is unwise to press the details of parables too far as not being the way in which parables are meant to be taken, but the main point should be sought for.

The general teaching seems to be that there is progressive but imperceptible worldwide growth in the Church and Kingdom from small beginnings, from the small and weak to the big and strong. That has been the case over the last 2,000 years. It can be seen if you look at church history in 500 year chunks. If you take it in smaller and smaller chunks it may be more and more imperceptible and quite discouraging at times.

Re the parable of the Mustard Seed, it it is true that plants can be somewhat retarded by various enemies (in the case of the Church e.g. apostate Judaism, the Roman Empire, godless humanism since the seventeenth and eighteenth century Enlightenment) or be affected by diseases (e.g. Romanism and Liberalism) and in the end overcome them and reach a better state of flourishing.

Many Postmillennialists believe in a falling away from the "Silver Age" before Christ returns. I say "Silver Age" because the world is never going to be perfect before Christ's return, so "Golden Age" should be reserved for the eternal realm. After all, even if everyone on earth was converted for many hundreds or thousands of years, converted people still commit sin. That is apart from any other considerations.

The falling away, demonstrating again the incorrigibility of Satan and sinful Man, is indicated in e.g. Revelation 20. With Postmillennialism you at least have have something worth falling away from.

Though some have followed a "consistent idealism" which views the release of Satan at the end of the age as being symbolic of his loosing in particular instances throughout the age.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would certainly say that the kingdom of God is growing stronger no matter the millennial view. How can it not? The gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The main point of these parables would seem to be that Jesus is explaining his ministry and how he brings the kingdom: He does not bring it in a flashy and all-at-once manner. Rather, he begins with small things and works slowly and organically.

Many people then, as now, were looking for what was flashy and popular, hoping to enter the kingdom through the "wide door" (the following parable). Jesus says to enter instead through the narrow door. The kingdom's beginnings will be neither popular nor impressive-looking, but from its humble beginnings it will grow to give comfort and sustenance to many. This is the main point.

So, any speculation about the church growing steadily, or having ups and downs, is NOT what these parables are about. Even if this is generally true of trees and rising bread, it is not the point Jesus is making in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back