The Kingdom of God vs The Kingdom of Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
Do u see any differences or do u see the terms as synonymous?

Matthew 7:21

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 6:33

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

I'm told there was quite a bit of circumlocution (use of alternate terms) in those days to speak of God and divine things; mainly out of superstition and legalistic keeping the 3rd commandment. Jesus, of course, would have no such superstition nor fear of the name of God or any direct reference.

He might, however, use a rich variety of common terms in his preaching; which use would be many avenues for his message concerning God to get through to everyone. And he would fearlessly use the name of God itself, and introduce (not for the first time, Is.63:16) a deeply familiar reference for the First Person, "Father," into our vocabulary; besides inviting personal reference to himself (being God in the flesh).

In the above-mentioned "kingdom of heaven/God," I believe these are essentially synonyms; but they may carry each it's own slight emphasis: a place or sphere, and a personal sovereignty.

Bruce,
Thanks for your response; in my studies recently, I see the Kingdom of God as Christ's rule over all creation and the Kingdom of Heaven, the local church-covenant community. I read an article by John Wolvoord which helped. Given he is a Dispensational, I read it with caution. He seems to give adequate Creedence to both camps and in my opinion, did a good job dealing with the terms. I thought it was a fair treatment.

https://bible.org/article/kingdom-heaven

For me, that's cutting too fine; and making more of the distinction than is warranted. I believe you can find parallel passages between the Synoptics, where one author makes use of one term and the other uses the second, see Mk.1:15 and Mt.4:17. And I very much doubt it is correct to take the each author as intending to call to mind two distinct spheres of Christ's rule, or that Christ himself said each with specific declarative content.

Bruce,
Thanks for your response; in my studies recently, I see the Kingdom of God as Christ's rule over all creation and the Kingdom of Heaven, the local church-covenant community. I read an article by John Wolvoord which helped. Given he is a Dispensational, I read it with caution. He seems to give adequate Creedence to both camps and in my opinion, did a good job dealing with the terms. I thought it was a fair treatment.

https://bible.org/article/kingdom-heaven
Were they not referring to the same thing though?
As do know that while in my Dispensational time, there was seen a really big difference between the meaning of the 2 terms, and they were mainly getting that view from the Old Scofield bible.

Last edited:
Bruce,

In the parable of the treasure and pearl, do u think there is any distinction being made by Christ in relation to His death and purchasing of the elect and what is implied in these verses?

44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
45 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: 46 Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.
The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Mt 13:44–46.

Acts 20:28
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

1 Corinthians 6:20
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.

1 Corinthians 7:23
23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.

2 Peter 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Co 6:20–2 Pe 2:1.

Scott,
I don't believe Jesus is teaching (Mt.13) about God making a great purchase or investment or any way obtaining a kingdom or persons of inestimable value.

The great point of those two parables is fundamentally one: that any man, should he discover the secret but very real kingdom of heaven (or God), ought to part with everything else; for by letting go he gains so much more. He gains eternal life, as in v43.

These parables are summons to believe and join; they do not impute values to the ones joining, nor does their joining increase the kingdom's value.

I was just considering the following....

Matthew 19:14
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 10:13-16
And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

Luke 18:15-17
And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

I agree with Rev. Buchanan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back