The Law before Moses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerusalem Blade

Puritan Board Professor
This is a question: I once saw it demonstrated from Scripture how that each of the Ten Commandments was known to the ancient world and the patriarchs, long before the Decalogue was given to Moses. I can't remember where I saw it. Can anyone help? It was but a paragraph or two, not a long treatise. Thanks!

Steve

Steve, I don't have the answer you're looking for but I taught that the moral law of God was clearly seen in the narrative about Cain and Able (Genesis 4:7). I would like to see the answer to your question.

This is a question: I once saw it demonstrated from Scripture how that each of the Ten Commandments was known to the ancient world and the patriarchs, long before the Decalogue was given to Moses. I can't remember where I saw it. Can anyone help? It was but a paragraph or two, not a long treatise. Thanks!

Steve

I think that it is the first chapter of Thomas Boston, Fourfold state ???

I. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which He bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.[1]

II. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables:[2] the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man.[3]

Chapter XIX, I and II. Is this the one?

One striking example, although not before Moses, but before the giving of the Decalogue:

Exo 18:15-16: And Moses said unto his father in law, Because the people come unto me to enquire of God:
When they have a matter, they come unto me; and I judge between one and another, and I do make them know the statutes of God, and his laws.

Also, Romans 1:19-20 tell us that God revealed himself, and the laws (otherwise he wouldn't mention "without excuse") from the time of creation:

Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse

But, in answer to your question, I haven't seen such a work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back