The Lawful Captive Delivered

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
sdc11599.jpg

I’ve been reading some of J.K. Popham’s sermons online but find reading at the computer difficult. Just lack of discipline I guess. I was very happy to find a used set of “The Lawful Captive Delivered: Being Sermons by J.K. Popham” at a good price from Reformation Heritage Books. All 4 volumes look brand new!

James Kidwell Popham (1847-1937) “For 55 years pastor of Galeed Chapel Brighton. Editor of the Gospel Standard from 1905 -1937. Beside being a minister of the gospel he was a gifted writer and theologian. He was called upon to deal with many controversial issues of the times. His booklet Spiritual Counsel to the Young is still in print as are many of his sermons. A book on the life of letters of J.K.Popham was written by J.H.Gosden. Under the title ‘Valiant For Truth’ it is still available.” source

VOL 1 – THE LAWFUL CAPTIVE DELIVERED, POPHAM, J K- Amoung the 25 sermons in this volume are:God’s Way Perfect, The Spirit’s Work in Conviction; The Spirit’s Work in Glorifying Christ; Communications from Christ; Christ Made a Curse & Sinners Blessed; To Know Christ & His Resurrection; Christ All in All; Consider the Apostle, Christ Jesus; Consider the High Priest, Christ Jesus; Perishing For Want of Vision; Rest Given to Coming Sinners; Sanctification; Unsearchable Riches of Christ; A Revelation of Christ; Straying Sheep Restored; and The Covenant of Grace. 272 pp.

VOL 2 – THE LAWFUL CAPTIVE DELIVERED, POPHAM, J K- Sermons include: This Man Receiveth Sinners; Casting Care Upon the Lord; By the Grace of God; The Lord’s Love to Them that Love Him; Early Seeking and Finding; Christ the End of the Law for Righteousness; Following on to Know the Lord; Saints Gathered to the Lord; Lost and Saved; The Fear of God; Trusting in the Lord; The Bread of God; Strengthened According to the Riches of His Glory; Christ Dwelling in the Heart by Faith; Things Asked in Christ’s Name; Strength When Flesh and Heart Fail; Thanksgiving and Prayer in Trouble; and the Very Hairs All Numbered. 240 pp.

VOL 3 – THE LAWFUL CAPTIVE DELIVERED, POPHAM, J K- Sermon topics include: Men Blessed in an Enduring Christ; Sinners Given and Coming to Christ; Those Coming to Christ in no Wise Cast Out; The Spirit Poured From on High; The Fulness of Christ; Power Given to the Faint; Living a New Life With Christ; Seeking Those Things Which Are Above; Ceremonial Sacrifices Superseded by Christ; The Spirit Given as a Comforter; The Glorious Gospel; Necessity and Evidences of Possessing the Spirit; A New and Living Way; Be Still and Know That I Am God; Consititution of a Church and An Open Door Set Before It. 267 pp

VOL 4 – THE LAWFUL CAPTIVE DELIVERED, POPHAM, J K- Sermons include: The Desire of the Righteous; Meditating in the Law of the Lord; Preservation from Fainting; The River of Water of Life; The Good Fight of Faith; A Good Profession Professed; The Light of Revelation; Walking in the Light; Able to do Exceeding Abundantly; Christ’s Glory in the Church; Access; Healed With His Stripes; The Spoil Divided With the Strong; Hungering for Righteousness;The Blessedness of Self-Examination; Let Us Hold Fast; The Inshining of the Gospel; It is Finished; The Security of the Lord’s People; Fellowship With Christ’s Sufferings;The Divine Teacher.257pp

You can buy this and other titles published by Old Paths Gospel Press from from Gospel Mission Book.

The first two sermons are gems! Very humbling, good soul food.

From the first sermon :

"As for God, His way is perfect." Mine is imperfect, mine leads away from Him. My own way is a wrong way and leads to death and the issue must be evil; but God undoes it. He comes to a child of His and undoes his way, turns it upside-down. Then the man thinks, "Now I am wrong," until the Lord begins to work in him the work of faith with power and lets him see God can do no unwise thing, can make no mistake. If He should make an empty place in you, an empty place in your house, an emptiness in your circumstances, depend on it, if you belong to Him He has got something a great deal better to give you; He had got Himself. He will give you something from Himself and eventually you shall know what the comfort of love is and what the fellowship of His Spirit is. "Perfect." Then you are not to improve it. No. Not improve this providence? No. O but it is painful! Do you think Paul at one moment understood the way of God when he said there was given to him a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet him, and evidently it was a very bitter thing to him because he went again and again to the Lord to get that thorn taken out of his flesh, whatever it was. He did not understand at that time. How could he without divine teaching, apostle though he was? But when Jesus kindly spoke to him, when Jesus said, "This pain and My grace together are better for you than the loss of the pain, the removal of the thorn, without My grace," Paul saw things then in the light of the dear Saviour's teaching and in the power of His sustaining grace, and he said: "I glory in my infirmity; I prefer the thorn with the grace, I prefer the trouble with the mercy, rather than to lose the thorn and also miss the mercy."

Well beloved friends, we have got a good deal to learn, and the chief of all is this, that God can make no mistake. He made none when He sent His Son to die. He made none when Jesus offered Himself without spot to God on the cross. He made no mistake when He gave the gift of everlasting life to the soul, for that gift is without repentance. He made none when he spoke the promise to the sinner saying, "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee;" and He makes none in those tremendous movements in providence which shake some of us to pieces. He made none when He took that away which was so dear, more than gold and silver. He makes no mistakes, and the day is coming when every saint will see that God has dealt with him in infinite kindness, infinite wisdom, and infinite love. O but if we see a little here, what shall we see hereafter? O what will God cause us to see when He gives us a full and perfect sight of the Lamb that is in the midst of the throne, and of the four and twenty elders; a Lamb as it had been slain! We shall see then and know as we are known, and sing unto Him that is worthy alone to have all honour and power and blessing and might and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back