The Life of Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoftheday

Puritan Board Sophomore
The Life of Brian by Monty Python, has anyone seen this flick? I have thought about watching it for a while, but havent because I assume it is rather blasphemous. I was told "it is actually a really funny movie, and not blasphemous at all" by a guy who claims christianity but this guy is very liberal at best so I am not sure if he knows what reverance for God is (its not a popular subject among the Liberal).

So question is Life of Brian; Good, Bad, or Blasphemous?

I don't know. I just remember seeing a small amount of it and being completely turned off by it. I couldn't bring myself to sit through it, and I generally like Monty Python.

A lot of things are funny, but not every funny thing is edifying. So with LoB.

Exactly. It is funny, but it mocks Christianity. In case you are wondering what it is about, a young man is mistaken for the Messiah and has followers. The followers are herd-like and basically stupid, implying that Christians were too.

I saw it in my rebellious youth. I personally would not see it again.

A lot of things are funny, but not every funny thing is edifying. So with LoB.

Exactly. It is funny, but it mocks Christianity. In case you are wondering what it is about, a young man is mistaken for the Messiah and has followers. The followers are herd-like and basically stupid, implying that Christians were too.

I saw it in my rebellious youth. I personally would not see it again.

:agree:

Although that tune "Always look on the bright side of life..." is catchy. :um:

Unfortunately, it is probably the funniest Monty Python flick. But I agree with Rev Buchanan. Although it may be lawful to watch, I don't think it is very expedient.

That said, there are certain scenes which do not mock Jesus, but mock the people instead. (that's ok isn't it?) Like the scene where the multitude speaks in unison these long dialogues. (just like it seems they do in the gospels)

It is a brilliant film, and I'd have to agree with Ken that I think it is probably the funniest of all of them... but as has been noted by many here already, the offense is in the implications for those who are the real targets of derision - Christians. I've seen interviews of the Python guys about the film, and there's no question - they mean to poke fun at Christianity, or rather their perception of Christianity. I probably will never see the movie again - don't see any need to. While some of the scenes had me laughing the hardest of any film I can think of, it's not worth it in the grand scheme of things.

I found the film hilarious when I first saw it, but I haven't watched it since becoming a Christian. In all fairness to the Monty Python crew, no group (religious, racial etc...) was spared from their cutting jokes and skits, so it's not as though Christians were singled out, when you look at their work as a whole. Having said that, I think that I'd cringe more than laugh if I watched it now, so I'll pass.

During the course of The Life of Brian, the Pythons strike a blow for the equality of the sexes in movie nudity. Both Graham Chapman and Sue Jones-Davies are shown in the altogether. The Chapman scene is hilarious. Completely naked, Brian opens the shutters on his bedroom window and is confronted by a huge throng of followers. However, Jones-Davies' full-frontal scene is gratuitous. One can only assume it was included to even things out.

Evidently the movie is notable for its male and female frontal nudity. I didn't see it, and have heard mixed reviews of it over the years.

During the course of The Life of Brian, the Pythons strike a blow for the equality of the sexes in movie nudity. Both Graham Chapman and Sue Jones-Davies are shown in the altogether. The Chapman scene is hilarious. Completely naked, Brian opens the shutters on his bedroom window and is confronted by a huge throng of followers. However, Jones-Davies' full-frontal scene is gratuitous. One can only assume it was included to even things out.

Evidently the movie is notable for its male and female frontal nudity. I didn't see it, and have heard mixed reviews of it over the years.

I had forgotten about that scene in the window. In fact, I am glad that I have forgotten a lot about that movie.

I watched the movie in high school. The one scene that I remember clearly is the "What have the Romans ever done for us" scene. One of the funniest scene's ever for me personally.

But like everyone else here has said: Probably not the most edifying film ever made. It also breaks the 2nd commandment rule, so if you follow that keep that in mind.

Here's the scene I was talking about <setup: these are rebel Jews wanting to overthrow the Romans and they have been discussing their plans><*warning I think there might be a swear right at the very beginning, so if you don't like hearing that then stay away>:
YouTube - What have the Romans given us in return?

Last edited:
The seat of mockers

I remember tuning into Monty Python on an tiny black and white screen accidentally as a youth. I was amazed and later saw all the movies, bought albums, (I remember "The Contractual Obligation Album") and can quote, sing, act out skits, and make ubiquitous references only the the most engrained know if I wanted to.

Them, Letterman, even my fascination with the Marx brothers grew a mocking spirit within me and I know I will be regretting it on judgment Day. Their influence has made parts of me non-believing, cynical, and pugnaciously superior in attitude.

I was reading Spurgeon last night and he spoke of the laughter of fools with their caps and bells and I am all to familiar with that vanity. Bunyan was playing some game called 'cat' and heard a voice from heaven say, "wilt thou leave thy sins and go to heaven or have thy sins and go to hell?" He was stunned but kept playing and went according to his autobiography, a little mad. I wish I were under so great a hand as Bunyan for such triffling things if I knew the results would be such purity.

The Life of Brian by Monty Python, has anyone seen this flick? I have thought about watching it for a while, but havent because I assume it is rather blasphemous. I was told "it is actually a really funny movie, and not blasphemous at all" by a guy who claims christianity but this guy is very liberal at best so I am not sure if he knows what reverance for God is (its not a popular subject among the Liberal).

I am going to get straight to the point (no pussy-footing around); its a wicked, blasphemous film: don't watch such vile mockery of your Saviour, and if anyone owns a video/DVD of it, then I suggest you have it burned. Blasphemy is something that God hates: "Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death." (Lev. 24:16).

I am going to get straight to the point (no pussy-footing around); its a wicked, blasphemous film: don't watch such vile mockery of your Saviour, and if anyone owns a video/DVD of it, then I suggest you have it burned. Blasphemy is something that God hates: "Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death." (Lev. 24:16).

Amen!

Have you repented for watching it, Daniel?

I never did watch it. However, I have read about it and seen clips of it on programs (which I swiftly turned off). It is a wicked film; such blasphemy should not be spoken off without horror. God tells us not to set a wicked thing before our eyes; there should not be any question about the propriety of watching such a production.

I never did watch it. However, I have read about it and seen clips of it on programs (which I swiftly turned off). It is a wicked film; such blasphemy should not be spoken off without horror. God tells us not to set a wicked thing before our eyes; there should not be any question about the propriety of watching such a production.

Never watched it, huh? That, my friend, is poor research. :p

PS - I'm not saying I would ever watch TLOB ever again, and I wouldn't commend it to anyone either. I do not consider the film to be a mockery of Christ, though. Perhaps a mockery of Christians - indeed a mockery of many things (which is the Python's raison d'etre). But there you have it. I agree with most of the brothers here, whose tone is that it may be lawful, but it is certainly not expedient. There is no profit in watching it, whatsoever.

PS - I'm not saying I would ever watch TLOB ever again, and I wouldn't commend it to anyone either. I do not consider the film to be a mockery of Christ, though. Perhaps a mockery of Christians - indeed a mockery of many things (which is the Python's raison d'etre). But there you have it. I agree with most of the brothers here, whose tone is that it may be lawful, but it is certainly not expedient. There is no profit in watching it, whatsoever.

It was nearly banned in Northern Ireland because of its blasphemy.

That was many years ago - it wouldn't happen now, more's the pity. Now Paisley goes to joint services with Catholics. The end is nigh...

That was many years ago - it wouldn't happen now, more's the pity. Now Paisley goes to joint services with Catholics. The end is nigh...

The Big Man has departed from his principles; it is sad.

However, concerning TLOB, I did see a clip of it once where it showed a person being crucified singing "always look on the bright side of life", to me this was (by implication) a mockery of Christ's crucifixion.

The problem is that the humor is so "good" (ie, well written, witty) that it can appeal to that side of our nature in a very powerful way. And so, we end up laughing along at something we abhor the thought of laughing at (a mockery of God). It is quite like Tarantino's films where you end up laughing at violence and then being shocked at what you're actually laughing at as a believer.

For this reason, I prefer to just stay away from the horrible temptation to laugh at something blasphemous...there is plenty of witty humor elsewhere (Wodehouse, for example).

Maybe I just have a different idea what it means to mock Christ.
The premise of the movie is to show that the work of Christ was of such little consequence that it can be confused with some slacker hebrew from the same time period.
To me, that is making a mockery of Christ.

Maybe I just have a different idea what it means to mock Christ.
The premise of the movie is to show that the work of Christ was of such little consequence that it can be confused with some slacker hebrew from the same time period.
To me, that is making a mockery of Christ.

:ditto:

The Big Man has departed from his principles; it is sad.

However, concerning TLOB, I did see a clip of it once where it showed a person being crucified singing "always look on the bright side of life", to me this was (by implication) a mockery of Christ's crucifixion.

Dr. Paisley defends himself against the accusations leveled against him; apparently some of those making them "owe their souls to him":

SermonAudio.com - Final Settlement of All Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back