The Lord's Day is the weekly divinely appointed availability of the means of grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
The pastoral theology taught by proto puritan Richard Greenham in his parish seminary (also maintained by Nicholas Bownd his stepson, the author of the first large systematic argument for the Lord's Day as the Christian Sabbath) revolved around the means of grace.[1] The primary means which are mentioned throughout Greenham’s Works are preaching, the administration of the sacraments and prayer, to which are added in his catechism, discipline and affliction (which bring together “exercises for coping with adversity: self-examination, prayer, fasting, repentance, reading of the Word, and meditation on the future life”).[2] Another means for Greenham is meditation, which Bownd champions at length and to which he added conferencing (Christians conferring with one another to discuss the faith).[3] And the main thing—the “great means of the means”—whereby all these means of grace are made available to the people of God is the weekly gatherings on the Christian Sabbath or Lord’s Day.[4] Considering the focus of both Greenham and Bownd on this practical divinity, it is not surprising both wrote books on the fourth commandment.
[4] Richard Greenham, 150–177.

(emphasis my own)
The pastoral theology taught by proto puritan Richard Greenham in his parish seminary... revolved around the means of grace.[

self-examination, prayer, fasting, repentance, reading of the Word, and meditation on the future life

And the main thing—the “great means of the means”—whereby all these means of grace are made available to the people of God is the weekly gatherings on the Christian Sabbath or Lord’s Day.
I don't know ahead of time what you are trying to point out, but isn't the logical implication of this that outside of "the weekly gatherings on the Christian Sabbath" doing "self-examination, prayer, fasting, repentance, reading of the Word, and meditation on the future life" are meaningless? They accomplish nothing for us because these "means of Grace" are only "made available to the people of God" inside of the Sabbath gathering? I know I inserted the word "only", but isn't that the implication? I'm confused.

Last edited:
No, not at all; but the Lord's day is a blessing in that while we may take time for using the private means of grace the rest of the week, a full day has been given wherein we make use of both the public and private means of grace every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back