The Lord's Day - Isle of Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
I posted this article to the PB articles today after attempts over recent years by a small group of secularists, who have constantly attempted to undermine the Lord's Day in the Isle of Lewis, has come to a head. This has culminated in a trial opening of An Lanntair, the local arts centre to show films on the Lord's Day later this month.

The secularists have tried to suggest that only those who attend church appreciate a day of rest. However, a number of articles have appeared online, for instance Here, from those who don't attend church who have put a spanner in the works for the secularists.

Prayer would be appreciated that attempts to eradicate the Lord's Day would be thwarted.

When we visited Lewis 50yrs ago, not even the sheep bleated on the Sabbath day! But in these latter years we have seen a decline in the population’s aderhance to the Sabbath commandment. Whereas in the past those who were not church attenders observed it’s sanctity, and would not put their washing out on the line, now they treat it as any another day. I would say that there are contributing factors, such as the number of incomers has increased ; the church congregations have declined in numbers; spiritual power is absent, and there is the imitation of the standards on the mainland. Lewis was unique, but the crown has fallen of her head.
But also there is a concerted effort by secularists to undermine the Christian heritage and ethos. Not so long ago the arch enemy of the faith, Richard Dawkins was invited to the island to lecture, which would have been unthinkable 20 yrs ago. But it seems from your articles Scott, that there is a sort of collusion between the secularists and placement of their collaborators in positions of power. Hope I am not misreading, and am open to correction. We need to pray that the Lord will visit as He has so often in the past, and raise the Banner of Truth up to draw the people to Him again.

Yes that's it Jeff. The secularists have done exactly that. It seems to have been very well planned out.

Fascinating from many angles. The question I'd like to pose, is whether these secularists would be so strident if Lewis was a last holdout an indigenous early-neolithic tribe who were trying to hold on their ways. Because Lewis in someways retains the religious trappings and traditions of mainland Scotland say...200 years ago then Lewis, by definition of the secularists, is made up of 'our people' who 'need to get with it.'

In the US there remain of course Indian (Native American) reservations that retain some autonomy. There are also areas of folks observing varying degrees of strictness; Mennonites, Amish, and other peoples who are generally left to their business. There are also sizable areas, entire jurisdictions made up of polygamous cults. This brings me to the article you linked to that mentioned Norway's recent rejection of lifting blue laws. Norway is about as secular as she gets. If I had to put my money on it the Norway reasoning may involve tradition but more likely it is about labor laws, workers rights and so forth. Not about worship. This again leads me to believe it's about stamping out Christianity in Lewis and not about shopping though bringing more cruise ships through was mentioned.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with you on both counts. Certainly the Norway situation doesn't relate to worship or the 4th commandment, although it does make the point that people sometimes do value a day of rest, even apart from a Christian perspective.

As you mentioned, the secularists on Lewis seem very intent on stamping out Christianity altogether. Church attendances are down in Lewis, as I mentioned in the article, however there is still a decent proportion of people attending church. Furthermore, there is still a general respect for the Gospel in the Island from non church goers, although again perhaps that is also on the slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back