The Lord's Supper: What Is Element and What Is Circumstance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
LBC 1; Paragraph 6. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit, or traditions of men.9 Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word,10 and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed.

The debate over intinction, and grape juice, and leaven in regards to the Supper seems to distill down to this one question: What things are 'expressly set down or necessarily contained in the Holy Scripture' and what things are 'circumstances which are ordered by the light of nature and Christian prudence'?

If the Scriptures, either expressly or by good and necessary consequence, teach that wine is to be used then wine it must be. If the Scriptures do not, either expressly or by good and necessary consequence, teach that wine is to be used then the liquid is to be determined by the light of nature and Christian prudence.

The same could be said for leavened or unleavened bread, or for the combining of the wine and the bread into a new substance prior to partaking, or for the frequency of participation.

I would like to hear arguments either way in regards to elements and circumstances in the Lord's Supper.

Those involved in the temperance movement most likely, which was going on since the early mid 19th century until they succeeded in getting prohibition passed. Before grape juice, they argued for water instead of wine (see the Sprague article that was linked in one of the other threads).
I'd be interested to know which churches used grape juice before prohibition.

Those involved in the temperance movement most likely, which was going on since the early mid 19th century until they succeeded in getting prohibition passed. Before grape juice, they argued for water instead of wine (see the Sprague article that was linked in one of the other threads).
I'd be interested to know which churches used grape juice before prohibition.

Here is the relevant passage from Sprague's sermon: Danger of Being Over Wise | Naphtali Press

Be not deceived by the parade of Oriental learning on this subject. Remember that no authority is worth a rush, that contradicts the plain declarations of Christ and his apostles, as they are found in the New Testament. And I ask how the blessed Founder of our religion — a religion designed for common people who can only judge the meaning of scripture, by the principles of common sense — I ask how it was possible that he should have instituted this ordinance to be observed in the Church forever, and spoken of the fruit of the vine, and nothing else, as one of the elements, if, after all, he meant wine and water, or tamarind water, or molasses and water, or anything else than that which his words properly and exclusively indicate.

"Is it worthwhile for Christians, by tampering with the ordinances of Christ, to give occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme.I cannot forbear to say too, that this innovation is a deep stab to the comfort of Christians in the commemoration of their Savior’s dying love. When I come to the communion table, and administer or receive the sacramental cup, I wish to think of my Redeemer and his death, and the hopes and blessings which I enjoy through him. I wish not to have my mind distracted by having the question forced upon me, whether I am not committing a sin by taking into my lips a drop of wine;"

I say Amen to William B. Sprague
Danger of
Being Over Wise
Copyright © 1997 Naphtali Press

Danger of Being Over Wise : A Sermon Preached June 7th, 1835, in the Second Presbyterian Church in Albany.1

[Sprague's quote] I wish not to have my mind distracted by having the question forced upon me, whether I am not committing a sin by taking into my lips a drop of wine;"

Yes. I have often been distracted by the thought of whether I am neglecting the Lord's commandment by having grape juice and not wine.

Last edited:
Paul rebuked the Corinthians in Chapter 11 for becoming drunk with the communion wine. Grape juice doesn't get you drunk. There's one circumstance that is compelling to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back