The Lost Sermons of Thomas Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

CathH

Puritan Board Freshman
Ettrick Press has just published a collection of 28 of Thomas Boston's sermons - 25 of which have been out of print for 250 years, and 3 are newly published from handwritten manuscripts. None of them are included in the 12-volume Complete Works.

Under the title Scattered and Kept, this collection covers a variety of subjects, but a recurring theme is how the Lord sometimes leaves his church to slide into doctrinal laxity and unspirituality - yet still provides for repentance and restoration. 'He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd does his flock.' Jer 31:10.

More info here - https://ettrickpress.co.uk/publications/scattered-and-kept/

Matthew Vogan and Matthew Hyde.

It's a bit of a mystery how they didn't make it into the Complete Works. They've just been out of print for the last couple of centuries.
The manuscripts are a small sample of the known collections of Boston manuscripts (mainly at Aberdeen University).

David Lachman once told me that he had the manuscript for Boston's commentary, (or maybe sermons, can't remember), on Genesis. I wonder if he, or his children, still plan to publish it.

David has a lot of things like that. He's pretty much retired. I could ask his daughter if it is still around.
David Lachman once told me that he had the manuscript for Boston's commentary, (or maybe sermons, can't remember), on Genesis. I wonder if he, or his children, still plan to publish it.

Would be interesting to know.

There is an 'Essay on the first 20 chapters of Genesis' in New College Library (Edinburgh), according to Philip Ryken on Boston but maybe that's something different.

I should have said, the three transcriptions we've published here were done by Douglas Somerset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back