The Love of Christ by Edward Payson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeard

Puritan Board Freshman
If we love and prize and rejoice in any object in proportion to the labor, pain, and expense which it has cost us to obtain it — then how greatly must Christ love and prize and rejoice in every penitent sinner! His love and joy must be unutterable, inconceivable and infinite!

I rejoice that our Savior's toils and sufferings were so great, since the greater they were — the greater must be His love for us, and His joy in our conversion. And if He thus rejoices over one sinner that repents — then what must be His joy when all His people are collected, out of every tongue and kindred and people and nation, and presented spotless before His Father's throne! What a full tide of felicity will pour in upon Him, and how will His benevolent heart expand with unutterable delight — when, contemplating the countless myriads of the redeemed, He says, "Were it not for My sufferings — all these immortal beings would have been, throughout eternity, fully miserable; and now they will be as happy as God can make them! It is enough. I see of the travail of My soul, and am satisfied."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back