The Lowly Chicago Cubs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
The Cubs - the LOWLY CHICAGO CUBS, FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD - just threw a no-hitter against my Dodgers!

Never thought I'd live long enough to see that happen!

Vinny - you jinxed the game by announcing your retirement after next season!

(maybe it's a sign of the rapture coming!)

Not to worry, Richard........it will be a short lived victory for the Cubs and the same in defeat for the Dodgers.....it must have been an accident. The Cubs couldn't go all the way to the W.S. if the other team forfeited.......:D

Yep. My Cubs aren't the same old Cubs everyone is used to. Fourth best record in the majors. Dodgers would be trailing the Cubs if San Fran takes over first.

Yep. My Cubs aren't the same old Cubs everyone is used to. Fourth best record in the majors. Dodgers would be trailing the Cubs if San Fran takes over first.

Well lets see what happens if and when they get to the playoffs. Unless they win the World Series for the first time since 1908, people will still find reason to say it is the same old Cubs, especially if it is thought that they blew it again like they did in 1984 and 2003. Even getting to the W.S. would be a huge accomplishment for a franchise that hasn't won the NL pennant since 1945. But the Red Sox and the White Sox finally won the W.S. after close to 80 years of futility, so why not the Cubbies?

Fourth best in the majors but in 3rd in the division? You have to think that something will have to give there even with them being 5.5 games up for the 2nd wild card. Under the original wild card format, they wouldn't even be in the playoffs if it started today.

Last edited:
Fourth best in the majors but in 3rd in the division? You have to think that something will have to give there even with them being 5.5 games up for the 2nd wild card. Under the original wild card format, they wouldn't even be in the playoffs if it started today.

Original wild-card format? Wow, Chris, all the way back to before 2012! And even the divisions that render the Cubbies third in the NL Central? Before 1994, only 2, and before 1969, no divisions! Why the little history lesson? I'm pulling for the Cubs and the current organization of MLB obscures how good the team is this year. They're third in a division with the Pirates and the Cards, both of whom are playing fantastic baseball, better than everyone easily in the NL and the only comparable AL team is KC.

Of course, if the CC were in another division--leading it--I would likely not even be making these observations: it's all about whose ox is being gored! At any rate, Eamus catuli!.

Peace,
Alan

Original wild-card format? Wow, Chris, all the way back to before 2012! And even the divisions that render the Cubbies third in the NL Central? Before 1994, only 2, and before 1969, no divisions! Why the little history lesson? I'm pulling for the Cubs and the current organization of MLB obscures how good the team is this year. They're third in a division with the Pirates and the Cards, both of whom are playing fantastic baseball, better than everyone easily in the NL and the only comparable AL team is KC.

Of course, if the CC were in another division--leading it--I would likely not even be making these observations: it's all about whose ox is being gored! At any rate, Eamus catuli!.

Peace,
Alan

Does it feel a little odd when the neighbouring street to your seminary is Blue Jay Way? (I grew up in Toronto.) Eamus hyacintho jays!

Not at all, Tim. We are an ecumenical bunch (I only speak for my preference; we even have White Sox fans here!). And we especially love Canadians!

Peace,
Alan

Peace,
Alan

Alan,

These whippersnappers today probably can't imagine a team winning 100 or more games and missing the playoffs. :)

My reference to "something having to give" was to the schedule. I don't follow MLB enough anymore to know how the schedules work. But my guess is that a team plays more games within the division than not. I'd be surprised if all three teams maintain their current pace through the end of the season. I don't know what the H2H records are between the 3 leaders. But sweeping a 3 or 4 game series against a division rival this late in the season can create a huge swing one way or the other.

To put the Cards performance in perspective, a few years ago they finished the regular season with 83 wins and won the division and the World Series. They have 85 now with a month or more left to go.

If I'm a "fan" of any team it is the Braves. They haven't been this bad since 1990.

Last edited:
Alright, Marcus, my ecumenicity does not extend as far as the Cardinals! ;)

Actually, my predecessor in the church history professorship, Dr. Joseph Hall, is a huge Cardinals fan (and played a bit of pro ball back in his day, if I recall).

Peace,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back