The Mainstream Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmaciver

Puritan Board Sophomore
I recently heard a statistic, which stated that 85% of the mainstream media in the US is liberal. Obviously, you could argue the statement to an extent, but I don't think you could argue that the mainstream media in the US, UK, along with other countries, are certainly liberal. In my mind, the mainstream media is very biased & seeks to dictate what we think, rather than simply report the news.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how this came to be, along with when this began to develop?

A big part of the problem has been the advent of the 24 hour news cycle. Because there is so much time to fill, there is a need for content, and this often leads to exaggeration and sensationalism.

What is the definition of "mainstream media"?
This:

"The term is often used for large news conglomerates, including newspapers and broadcast media, that underwent successive mergers in many countries. The concentration of media ownership has raised concerns of a homogenization of viewpoints presented to news consumers. Consequently, the term mainstream media has been widely used in conversation and the blogosphere, often in oppositional, pejorative, or dismissive senses, in discussion of the mass media and media bias."​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_media

This:

"The term is often used for large news conglomerates, including newspapers and broadcast media, that underwent successive mergers in many countries. The concentration of media ownership has raised concerns of a homogenization of viewpoints presented to news consumers. Consequently, the term mainstream media has been widely used in conversation and the blogosphere, often in oppositional, pejorative, or dismissive senses, in discussion of the mass media and media bias."​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_media
Said using a mainstream source.

"Liberal" is really not the right word to use, even though that's how they speak of themselves. Generally, "left-leaning" or simply "leftist" would be more accurate.

I can't think of a single mainstream TV news channel in Canada that could be called conservative. At least the US has only 85% leftist media!

I do not know why they are leftist. However, the agenda does not even have to be liberal commentaries. Rather it ia through what they cover. Heck, you would think we are back under the era of Jim Crow if you watch the news here not knowing anything about the context.
On top of that, my new smart phone for instance gives me nothing but unheard of sites, misleading stories and commentary even though my settings say no to none of that.

I do not know why they are leftist. However, the agenda does not even have to be liberal commentaries. Rather it ia through what they cover. Heck, you would think we are back under the era of Jim Crow if you watch the news here not knowing anything about the context.
On top of that, my new smart phone for instance gives me nothing but unheard of sites, misleading stories and commentary even though my settings say no to none of that.

One of the things I hated about Chrome on my smartphone was all the recommendations for sites like Vox, which I really have no interest in. I've started using Firefox, and even though it seems a bit slower, I'm much happier with it.

The 85% sounds low. There used to be a conservative regional chain of papers in the Southeast, but it went through bankruptcy.

And don't forget what recently happened to the Dean of one of the top journalism schools. He described a former classmate and long time friend as a "nice guy". He was forced to recant this heresy and issue a public apology. (The friend was, shockingly, a Republican.)

In my opinion, there are a few reasons but two is the fact that Unbelievers far out number believers, and because Secular Humanism is picking up popularity throughout Western Societies. Secular societies found most prominently in Nordic countries are being used as the example of what we should strive to be like in the future. Secular is rooted in post-modernism which is the most evident in far leftist policy, thought processes and agendas.

The mainstream media is run by our alien reptilian overlords posing as a cabal of Jewish bankers, trying to bring about the New World Order.

...so I've been told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back