Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Can anyone give a review of this book?

1573580627.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Market Day of the Soul
by James T., Jr. Dennison and James Dennison

Book Description
This is a reprinting of Dennison's book on the Sabbath as understood by the Puritans. Dennison originally wrote this book as a thesis at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary for the late Dr. John H. Gerstner, and it was published in 1983. We have retypeset it from its original edition. In this book, painstakingly researched from original sources, Dennison shows the differing views on the Sabbath between the Anglicans of the 16th and 17th centuries and the Puritans of that same time period. He concludes that the Puritan view of the Sabbath is the biblical one. (209 pages)

About the Author
James T. Dennison, Jr. is Academic Dean of Northwest Theological Seminary in Washington, where he also serves as Professor of Church History and Biblical Theology. He has been the editor of "Kerux: A Journal of Biblical-Theological Preaching" since 1986. He has also edited variou books including Francis Turretin's "Institutes of Elenctic Theology," Geerhardus Vos' "Old Testament Eschatology," and, "The Letters of Geerhardus Vos."

Refresh my memory Chris. Which conclusions; my copy is "somewhere". I recall as far as what I was using the work for that iit presented the Puritan view; am I wrong in that recollection?

Originally posted by NaphtaliPress
Refresh my memory Chris. Which conclusions; my copy is "somewhere". I recall as far as what I was using the work for that iit presented the Puritan view; am I wrong in that recollection?

Don't know...I just ordered it tonight. I'm teaching Sunday School on the Sabbath next Sunday and want to read as much as possible.

Pray for me as I think it will be a new concept for many as regards to the practical outworking of it.

Yes, it does.

Its simple, straight forward, and if you've read anything "hard" puritanwise, this will be a breeze to get through.

Think of it this way - its a refreshing read altogether.
When you are done with it, you go - ahhhhhhhhhhh fresh! :sing:

Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
Yes, it does.

Its simple, straight forward, and if you've read anything "hard" puritanwise, this will be a breeze to get through.

Think of it this way - its a refreshing read altogether.
When you are done with it, you go - ahhhhhhhhhhh fresh! :sing:

That's encouraging. I need an ahhhhhhhhhhh fresh! nowadays!

Thanks gentlemen! I look forward to reading it. Time is limited for me this week. If you could pick 3 books/treatises/excerpts on the Sabbath what would they be? I have Pipa's book and will probably go with it as well as Market Place...I'll also search through threads here to see it didactically worked out. Recommendations?

Speaking of James T. Dennison Jr. here is an informative and thorough lecture on Jonathan Edwards for download. (It's a free download)

James T. Dennison, Jr., Professor of Church History

"Sweet Grace of God" - On Jonathan Edwards
or download HERE (11MB)

Jonathan Edwards Tercentenary Address Q&A
or download HERE (6.5MB)

It is under lectures...http://www.nwts.edu/audio.htm

I had the very great privilege of studying under James Dennison in seminary. He is great teacher and lecturer. I highly recommend his book on the Puritan docrtine of the Sabbath. I cannot say enough good things about Professor Dennison.

I would agree with Andrew that Gouge is another good read. He writes it as a short catechism. I found it particulalry useful for showing how the puritans defined "works of necessity" which are commonly used in our modern times to be much broader than what the puritans intended by that term.

Nathan: you heard Jim lecture tonight in Lynnwood at the seminary? So did I! I wish we had had a chance to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back