The Marrow Controversy: David Lachman

Status
Not open for further replies.

N. Eshelman

Puritan Board Senior
Brothers and sisters:

I am attempting to complete my M.Div this year and need to finish up my thesis. To make this happen I am in need of this book:

David C. Lachman,The Marrow Controversy: An Historical and Theological Analysis, Edinburgh: Rutherford House, 1988.

Does anyone know of a copy that I may purchase for a reasonable sum?

I would greatly appreciate it! (I would also be willing to trade for it... go here to see my library. (To pick out a trade).

Let me know!

:scholar:

I'd be willing to loan mine but it is gone missing; sorry. I have spoken to David recently and he is interested in reissuing it when he gets the time to revamp it some. Not soon enough for your need but I thought I'd drop that tad of info.

Andrew, when doing my searchs for this book some days ago I've inquired them concerning Lachman's book and they said me there is no way to get the book even through their special orders, unfortunately. I don't want make you sad Nathan, but I couldn't find just a copy of this book in one year!

Last edited:
I know... I have been looking for a long time as well. Thanks Dr. Clark, I know Calvin and Puritan both have copies, but it is just not the same. I have talked with Dr. Beeke about asking David Lachman to republish it through RHB... we will see.

Is $315 too much? As much as I would like a copy...yes!

We have a copy in the RTS library but is has been checked out indefinitely. I had to wheel and deal with the guy who had it just so I could use it on an assignment for a few weeks. I will definitely be first on the list to get it when it's reprinted.

Chris, tell him to rush that reprint, even if it's just reprinted as is.

Patrick,
I learned a long time ago that I can't set David's calendar.;) I don't think it will simply be reprinted as David wants to make changes; so it is simply going to have to wait until he takes the time to do that.
I need to find my copy; it has to be here somewhere....

I'd be willing to loan mine but it is gone missing; sorry. I have spoken to David recently and he is interested in reissuing it when he gets the time to revamp it some. Not soon enough for your need but I thought I'd drop that tad of info.

I trust that when it is reissued there will be an announcement made on the PB?

Patrick,
I learned a long time ago that I can't set David's calendar.;) I don't think it will simply be reprinted as David wants to make changes; so it is simply going to have to wait until he takes the time to do that.

Ok ok... I just really want that book :p

Any chance you could photolithograph your copy for a limited edition through Naphtali? :think:

Hi:

The closest you can get the information in the book is a taped lecture series done by Dr. Lachman on the Scottish Presbyterianism.

This series is part of the curriculum at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. I do not know if they will loan it out to non-Students. The Course number is 327a. The link to the seminary:

Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary

I would be interested in reading your thesis once it is done.

In Jesus,

-CH

While I don't want to get your hopes too high, I know someone who could very well have access to a copy of it. If she can borrow it, would you be able to photocopy the pages and send it back?

Patrick,

Any chance you could photolithograph your copy for a limited edition through Naphtali? :think:
No; I had written specifically with the purpose of re issuing it; but that is when he told me his plans. I do not encourage going the photocopy route; you simply should borrow a book and return when finished. Photocopying an entire whole work beyond fair use that is out of print, but not out of copyright, is still a violation of the the author's rights.

Patrick,

No; I had written specifically with the purpose of re issuing it; but that is when he told me his plans. I do not encourage going the photocopy route; you simply should borrow a book and return when finished. Photocopying an entire whole work beyond fair use that is out of print, but not out of copyright, is still a violation of the the author's rights.

Just curious, how long does a copyright hold for books?

Brothers and sisters:

I am attempting to complete my M.Div this year and need to finish up my thesis. To make this happen I am in need of this book:

David C. Lachman,The Marrow Controversy: An Historical and Theological Analysis, Edinburgh: Rutherford House, 1988.

Does anyone know of a copy that I may purchase for a reasonable sum?

I would greatly appreciate it! (I would also be willing to trade for it... go here to see my library. (To pick out a trade).

Let me know!

:scholar:

Is your thesis on the Marrow Controversy? Lachmann will be helpful, but there are other materials available, too.

Yes, I am writing on the Marrow Controversy and preaching. I have access to the book, but would like my own copy, since I am a bibliophile.

Maybe someone here knows DL and will get written permission for us to photocopy one? :)

I would be interested in other resources that are available.

As for other sources on the Marrow Controversy, see David Lachman, "Marrow Controversy," Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, pp. 546-548, where he recommends the following additional references (besides his own work, which is clearly the standard):

D. Beaton, 'The "Marrow of Modern Divinity" and the Marrow Controversy', RSCHS [Records of the Scottish Church History Society] 1 (1926, 112-34)
J. Macleod, Scottish Theology (per the index, see pp. 53, 133-8, 143-68, 175, 178, 180)

Also, see:

W. M. Hetherington, History of the Church of Scotland, chap. ix., pp. 342, 344-347
Thomas M'Crie the Elder, Christian Instructor (1831, 1832) ("a minute and exhaustive account is given by M'Crie")
Thomas M'Crie the Younger, The Story of the Scottish Church, pp. 454-460
Sinclair Ferguson's lectures on the Marrow Controversy

Joel Gillespie has a bibliography on the Marrow Controversy here.

Yes, I am writing on the Marrow Controversy and preaching. I have access to the book, but would like my own copy, since I am a bibliophile.

Maybe someone here knows DL and will get written permission for us to photocopy one? :)

I would be interested in other resources that are available.
If you obtain a copy to copy, post me directly on how to contact David to get permission.

If you obtain a copy to copy, post me directly on how to contact David to get permission.

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought we were talking about a book that was written 300 years ago. I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted someone to break any copyright laws.

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought we were talking about a book that was written 300 years ago. I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted someone to break any copyright laws.

I am sure David Lachman will not be amused when he finds out you think he is over 300 years old. :smug:

:lol:

I had never heard of him, and somehow I misread what someone posted and inferred that he was a puritan-era kinda guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back