The Message of I Corinthians - David Prior (pub - IVP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I am really struggling with this commentary now that I have reached chapter 14. On p242 Prior announces that he is going to proceed on the basis of the validity of the charismatic movement and tongues speaking as currently practiced. He then goes on to explain that tongues speaking integrates the whole psyche in a process traditionally called sanctification. I am not sure that we ever called sanctification a realignment of the psyche? With authoritative quotations from the likes of John Sherrill and Michael Green it is clear that this is a charismatic commentary. Charismatic perhaps with a particular perspective but paying little attention to the text, the flow of thought or the context. For a church which exalted tongues and must therefore have had their psyches integrated and therefore progressed in sanctification they were pretty immoral and selfish!

I am also struck by the number of times Prior has acknowledged the presence of tongues in pagan religions indeed on page 248 he explains that the reaction of people coming into the church might be because they are unfamiliar with tongues in the pagan cults or the Christian church. I wonder if he read that over after writing it? Ecstatic speech in pagan cults ~ ecstatic speech in Corinthian Church ~ charismatic movement???

I was particularly unimpressed with the hoops he jumped through to explain why the interpretation of a tongue bears no relation to the length of what was spoken. The answer is that the interpretation is the 'reply' from the Spirit! p241

I have got this far in the 'commentary' and will probably continue more out of curiosity and the revealing but seemingly unwitting comments he makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back