The "mid-service mint" at Dutch congregations

Status
Not open for further replies.
A think a rousing 15 minute chorus of "Sing Jesus shine" at the mid-point of every sermon is a healthier remedy than munching candy. And if done in the manner of many modern churches might burn more calories as well.

I enjoy the soothing delight of butter-scotch whilst ruminating on the sermon; unless of course I am the one preaching it, in which case I abstain for the sake of those sitting on the front row. :)

I enjoy the soothing delight of butter-scotch whilst ruminating on the sermon; unless of course I am the one preaching it, in which case I abstain for the sake of those sitting on the front row. :)

This abstinence, pastor, is much appreciated. A Starlight mint or Butterscotch is better in the mouth than flying through the air at an unsuspecting communicant member........:D

Rather than seeing this as a cute cultural tradition, I see it as a horrible necessity brought on by a terrible culture of almost intolerable boringness in the worship: Faced with an ecclesiastical situation they could not change, the faithful found a way to stay awake and try to engage their being in the worship service. Some people love boring and so they eat stimulants to stay awake. Others, well, others leave.

Whoa whoa whoa. This does indeed demand satisfaction, especially from Ben. Ben, I will see you at dawn; you choose: sabres or pistols.

Actually, your evanjellyfish tendencies are likely punishment enough, as you are obviously of the sort that needs to be entertained during church. :)

The King Peppermint is taken immediately after the scripture reading (not before!) prior to the start of the sermon (so it is more like a unified tear than a fumbling of plastic wrappers). We are usually a two mint per sermon family, mostly because we have a four year old in the bench. King and Wilhelmina are the norm in our church, but Mentos are showing more strongly than before (probably creeping liberalism).

In the Highlands of Scotland the Pan Drop was the mint of choice. The beauty of it was that they came unwrapped in a large bag. Several of these big ole suckers were popped into the (hopefully clean) pocket of one's jacket/coat and discreetly transferred from pocket to mouth, one at a time, during the sermon. Some rebellious ones would opt for wrapped candies/sweets, but even these could be fairly discreetly unwrapped one handedly in the pocket of one's jacket. Sermon length was measured in number of mints consumed- usually two, sometimes three. All that minty fresh breath made post church fellowship more inviting!
If one dropped one's mint then it would undoubtedly land with a loud crash on the wooden floor surrounding the pew.
The idea behind it was to aid concentration and also help wet the mouth after singing.

I am guilty of having my feet on the chairs.:doh:

Perhaps I'm the only one shaking his head about the obvious indictment of an entire tradition's services which are such that people literally need a stimulant to stay awake during the sermon.

I would just like to say that at every Church I have ever attended in the US or in Canada, I have seen people napping, dazing, texting, eating, etc. during the sermon. This is because I have done all of those things at one point or another. :doh: And I have been to congregations that sing "shine Jesus shine" and every song you can think of.

The church which I attend has 30 minute sermons with the latest hymns and a worship team. People are still caught napping and are drawing on the handouts during the sermon.

Just picked up your rebuke Josh, and if the remark mentioned
has caused offence, then I unreservedly withdraw it. Yet I would
still maintain that sweet eating is unbecoming in Divine worship.
If it was Christ preaching would not our attitude be different? Yet
if we believe He is present in our worship, and the voice of the
good Shepherd is heard in the Word preached, then the same
spiritual etiquette should be observed. Howbeit, do receive my
sincere apologies.
But I into thy house will come
in thine abundant grace;
And I will worship in thy fear
toward thy holy place.

I recall getting extra jalapenos on nachos to wake me up after late-night meetings I had to go to as a reporter. Don't think I'd try it in church :) You know, I try to set Sunday aside as a "different" day for my kids. Slipping them a mint might continue in this purpose since I rarely just hand them candy.

I've been offered mint imperials and polo mints in church since I was a child, but I can't take peppermints. The same thing happened just the other Sabbath evening when the other precentor offered me a mint.

I won't say no to a barley sugar, treacle toffee, or a chocolate lime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back