The Minor Prophets by E. B. Pusey

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV1611

Puritan Board Senior
This may be a daft question but has anyone read E. B. Pusey's The Minor Prophets with a Commentary Explanatory and Practical, and Introductions to the several Books?

Minor Prophets - A Commentary Explanatory and Practical: Volume 1 | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Minor Prophets A Commentary Explanatory and Practical: Volume 2 | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Thoughts? :think:

EDIT: I found Spurgeon's comments:

All authorities speak of this work with great respect and so would we; but it is evident that Dr. Pusey is far too much swayed by patristic and mediaeval commentators.

also

To Dr. Pusey's work on Daniel all subsequent writers must be deeply indebted, however much they may differ from him in other departments of theological study.

Last edited:
This may be a daft question but has anyone read E. B. Pusey's The Minor Prophets with a Commentary Explanatory and Practical, and Introductions to the several Books?

Minor Prophets - A Commentary Explanatory and Practical: Volume 1 | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Minor Prophets A Commentary Explanatory and Practical: Volume 2 | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Thoughts? :think:

EDIT: I found Spurgeon's comments:

All authorities speak of this work with great respect and so would we; but it is evident that Dr. Pusey is far too much swayed by patristic and mediaeval commentators.

also

To Dr. Pusey's work on Daniel all subsequent writers must be deeply indebted, however much they may differ from him in other departments of theological study.

Pusey was an Anglo-Catholic wasn't he? However, his commentaries seem to be highly rated. In some sense, it would appear that James Jordan is his modern day equivalent. :think:

Pusey was an Anglo-Catholic wasn't he? However, his commentaries seem to be highly rated. In some sense, it would appear that James Jordan is his modern day equivalent. :think:

1. He became the leader of the Tractarians after Newman converted to Rome.

2. He was a Hebrew scholar and well respected in that regard.

3. He was not "Anglo-Catholic" in the modern sense. He rebuked the ritualists of his day.

1. He became the leader of the Tractarians after Newman converted to Rome.

2. He was a Hebrew scholar and well respected in that regard.

3. He was not "Anglo-Catholic" in the modern sense. He rebuked the ritualists of his day.

Thanks for the info.

Was he a high-church evangelical like Gladstone (who claimed to be Augustinian)? :detective:

Thanks for the info.

Was he a high-church evangelical like Gladstone (who claimed to be Augustinian)? :detective:

From what I have read of him I would have to say no although he and Gladstone were friends (to what extent I am not 100% sure though)...but you can find a fair bit about him here.

From what I have read, he and the tractarians were roman with a slightly different flavor. I have yet to find anything in his writings to be worth the price of the meal. But that is me

From what I have read, he and the tractarians were roman with a slightly different flavor. I have yet to find anything in his writings to be worth the price of the meal. But that is me

Have you read his work on Daniel?

C. H. Spurgeon:

:handshake:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back