The Monstrous Regiment of Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I have never heard of any of these women, but this looks like truly wonderful stuff. Blessings on these filmmakers for using their talents to these ends.

I just read Knox's book yesterday, and it is quite good on the subject, especially in regards to his analysis of and reasoning with the Scriptures, including both their meaning and ramifications. Hopefully this presentation will be able to serve as a good introductory example of such.

I just read Knox's book yesterday, and it is quite good on the subject, especially in regards to his analysis of and reasoning with the Scriptures, including both their meaning and ramifications. Hopefully this presentation will be able to serve as a good introductory example of such.

Chris, which book is this? :book2:

The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women. As far as I know, it is the most widely-read Reformed work against the authority of women that has a specific focus on the civil realm.

:ditto: It's a classic. François Hotman also wrote on this subject soon after Knox, but his treatise is not as widely known.

Has anyone noticed how popular Knox's phrase has become in recent years?

* Monstrous Regiment was a British feminist theatre company during the 1970s and 1980s. The name is taken from the Knox pamphlet.

* Monstrous Regiment is a book by Terry Pratchett released in late 2003, part of his Discworld series. It also takes its name from the Knox pamphlet. The plot involves a young woman disguising herself as a boy and joining the army in order to find her brother.

* The Monstrous Regiment is a book by Storm Constantine, released in 1990.

* Regiment of Women is a book by Thomas Berger, published in 1972. The plot occurs in 2074, when women have reversed sex roles to an alarming degree.

* A Monstrous Regiment of Women is a mystery novel written by Laurie R. King.

* First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monsterous Regiment of Women is a 2003 horror novel by Eric McCormack.

What exactly is the film about? It does look interesting. I know it is about feminism, but what aspect of it does it address? My internet charges me by the MB so I'am not that keen to download the clips.

Well, unless someone says they're really that good.

Another thought: Speaking of Knox, what would his opinion be on women in authority in the realms of civil employment/business/masters-servants etc?

I do not think it was directly addressed in the First Blast though I could have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back