The Most Reluctant Convert: The Story of C. S. Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
I've long enjoyed and benefited from many of C. S. Lewis' writings. Mere Christianity was providentially instrumental in my being freed from the cultic brainwashing I grew up with. This looks to potentially be a decent docu-drama of the great writer - to be released November 3.

Branhamism - self-identified as The Message. I sometimes simplistically describe them as Oneness-Pentecostal Mormons. My wife and I were both raised in this cult. My father was a pastor with group-wide prestige, as are my two brothers still.

God led both my wife and I away from the group shortly after the birth of our son. We saw some of the serious practical and theological problems there were with the cult, and naturally projected some of those misgivings and rejections onto Christianity as a whole. For the next decade we wandered in a wilderness of spiritual doubt, fear, bewilderment, and hopelessness. We were eventually reduced to believing there must be a God, but were certain of little else. Looking back, we recognize this exile as a necessary period of deprogramming from many of the terrible doctrines of the cult. Most who leave reject God altogether.

Coming across and absorbing Mere Christianity was one of the very first steps in my subsequent understanding of biblical Christianity, which eventually lead to an embracement of Reformed Theology. I remember weeping many times as I read through it, as some very basic but wonderfully glorious truths were revealed to me. Lewis' theology certainly has some flaws, but I will always admire his gift of writing, and am forever grateful for the providential role his work played in my spiritual reawakening.

That is quite the testimony, brother! Thanks for sharing. Praise the Lord for his kindness to you and yours.

I've long enjoyed and benefited from many of C. S. Lewis' writings. Mere Christianity was providentially instrumental in my being freed from the cultic brainwashing I grew up with. This looks to potentially be a decent docu-drama of the great writer - to be released November 3.

This looks great!

naturally projected some of those misgivings and rejections onto Christianity as a whole

I did the same thing when I split from the Assemblies of God charismatic denomination. For a while I identified as anti-Christin before I discovered the existence of Confessions and Reformed Christianity. God keep you and your family.

Definitely seeing this. I noticed they are actually filming at The Kilns and Addison’s Walk. I visited those places during my Lewis/Inkling study in Oxford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same thing when I split from the Assemblies of God charismatic denomination. For a while I identified as anti-Christin before I discovered the existence of Confessions and Reformed Christianity. God keep you and your family.

As an aside, welcome! From another ex-AOG.

So did anyone go see it? I just got back from it. Since it was adapted from Max McLean’s one man play it was interesting how they did it.

And seeing all the places in Oxford that Lewis walked and talked, and I got to study at, was a nice treat.

I desperately wanted to see it, but none of the theaters around were showing it. If anyone knows of a way to stream it, please let me know.

It's not showing in any theaters around here either. Probably have to wait till it's available to stream on some pay-per-view platform. Oh well...something to keep looking forward to...

So did anyone go see it? I just got back from it. Since it was adapted from Max McLean’s one man play it was interesting how they did it.

And seeing all the places in Oxford that Lewis walked and talked, and I got to study at, was a nice treat.

My wife and I and our 3 children all got to see it together last night. It was great! I felt like I was reading C.S. Lewis with the narration. I thought the narrator was excellent!

Saw it last night. The movie itself was excellent and I learned a lot about the man.

They started the movie with behind the scenes footage and interviews of the actors. I never like seeing that. Personal preference, but when I see a movie I don't want to know it's a movie if that makes sense.

Saw it last night. The movie itself was excellent and I learned a lot about the man.

They started the movie with behind the scenes footage and interviews of the actors. I never like seeing that. Personal preference, but when I see a movie I don't want to know it's a movie if that makes sense.
I agree. We did not enjoy the behind the scenes before seeing the movie. I don't mind seeing behind the scenes necessarily, but I certainly don't want to see them before the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back