the movie Stay: Deconstructionism in action

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
This is a night's review of the movie Stay. I saw this movie about two and a half months ago. This is an old review of it. If you haven't seen the movie, DONT. Btw, I will be using a van tillian analysis of it. If you are not vantillian, debate it elsewhere. I don't feel like rehashing old debates.
As I intend to spoil the movie, there will be no "warning spoiler" banner.
---------------------------------------------------------
Faris took me to Jackson's Mall (my first time ever in Jackson). As the mall was closing he asked, "Do you want to see a movie?" Sure, I thought. Why not? BIG MISTAKE.

We ended up seeing "Stay". It was pure satanic postmodernism with a vengeance. Don't worry, there were no dirty scenes, and even though the language was a problem, that wasn't even the worst part of it.

The worst part of it is its blatant postmodernism. I would try to give you the summary of the movie, only it didn't have a coherent plot. It denied knowable reality and maintained that all was an illusion. It was about--freaks me out to even recite it--a guy who wanted to kill himself and is intereacting with this psychiatrist. It is freaky. The psych ends up reliving the depressant's past life, and it goes downhill quick from there. It shows how postmodernism (or for you literary majors--decontructionsim) ends up in terror. Without a coherent theme, one doesn't know what is real. Eventually, the only "real" thing is power, force (there ewas a gun scene that threatened a guy).

As the movie ended Faris said, "I'm sorry." He then said we should go chew glass and shoot scotch to get this bad feeling out of our stomachs.

In a sick, sad sort of way it provides an argument for Christianity. Satre said that without an infinite reference point, all reality is chaos. He denied the reference point, but his original statement was correct. Only the Triune God can provide such a reference point. Without this reference point human predication is impossible. They said in the movie that reality is an illusion, but in doing so they borrowed Christian capital--they assumed, contrary to their worldview, that words haev meaning. Seconldy, only the Christian Story can provide the grand metanarrative that makes all other stories intelligible. Greg Bahnsen said that Christian Theism is true because of the impossibility of the contary. Assume a worldview contrary to the Chrisitan worldview. Watch it systematically bankrupt itself. Watch every non-Christian worldview collapse. Ergo, Christiantiy!

I guess that above paragraph redeems the past few hours. Well, I am about to go watch the Narnia trailer as to get visions of beauty and glory and wonder back into my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back