The NEW Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I left for 20 minutes and came back to an entirely new look. What a surprise. Thought I'd entered an imposter puritanboard by mistake.

I like it already. I don't know about the rest of the functionality yet, but I give a double thumbs up to the improved search capabilities.

Bob

Scott,

There is a function on this board just like the other to show whether a post has been edited. I need to turn that back on.

Also, if you go to your profile, you can check a box that will always add signature.

WARNING - the signature length here is 255 characters. Yours (and mine) are way to long. I found a MOD on the phpbb forum to give us complete control over what we will have. I will test it on the TEST board we have (basically a duplicate on Matt's server) to make sure it is safe

Much better board structure and cleaner to read. Thanks for the works guys. It alread feels like a second home. . . :shock:

[b:ecca6548b4]Josh wrote:[/b:ecca6548b4]
Same here, Bob. This is a clean slate here for you. It's high time you get yourself an avatar!

I'll have to give that some serious thought, for sure.

I started poking around a little and went to the Member List page? It has a nice sort function so you can quickly see the points standings. You're way ahead of me in 5th place and I'm in around 9th place. Its a shame your points weren't combined with deadmen.org's points, quite a bit further down the list. That'd put you in second place, not too far behind our illustrious leader, Pastor Way.

:banana: (just testing to see if this key function works)

Fred,

I have updated the configuration for everything like the other test board I played with. Signature are up to 1000 characters, avatars run 200X200 max, 20K. It should make this easier. We need to send an email to everyone to chagne a couple of toggles in thier profile so they are not confused. I will do that later.

[quote:afe47573ff="webmaster"]Fred,

I have updated the configuration for everything like the other test board I played with. Signature are up to 1000 characters, avatars run 200X200 max, 20K. It should make this easier. We need to send an email to everyone to chagne a couple of toggles in thier profile so they are not confused. I will do that later.[/quote:afe47573ff]

Do you know how to make changes as an Admin to user profiles instead of looking up each user one by one?

Also, do you know how to make Special Ranks (Administrator, Moderator, etc) like we had before?

For some peculiar reason, Josh has "doctoral work" under his name and I have "University Doctor" under mine??? Matt has university doctor under his also???

Nice format huh? I love the PhpBB format! Very easy to use.

I do miss the arrows that take you to the top or bottom of a thread, but overall this is a much easier format to use!

Phillip

I've been seeing punctuation marks replaced with some other representation for the marks. As an example:

During the break, I visited a website called BaptistFire, which as many of you probably know is very down on Calvinism, to say the least.

Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there something I need to select to see the punctionation marks?

Bob

[quote:5e82f8acab="blhowes"]I've been seeing punctuation marks replaced with some other representation for the marks. As an example:

During the "break", I visited a website called BaptistFire, which as many of you probably know is very down on Calvinism, to say the least.

Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there something I need to select to see the punctionation marks?

Bob[/quote:5e82f8acab]

Bob,

I think that is an html/bb issue caused by the conversion. I'm not sure it can be fixed. I'll investigate but we might just have to live with it.

I have pretty extensive use of this format for a few other boards I have worked with! I like it!!

Phillip :scholar:

I'm looking for the "Today's Posts" button, and can't find it. That was always my first selection when I came on Board. Now I'm lost. Who posted what today? That function is only in the individual threads.

On the other hand, I wasn't keeping up with all the reading anymore. I was keeping tabs on the general daily input, who was interested in what, who had a going concern, etc. I'm just used to viewing the Board this way.

Am I missing something? I looked, and I can't find that function aywhere, except in the individual threads. Or do I have to change my stripes? I guess we'll find out if you can teach an old dog new tricks.

I have viewed other Boards on occasion, to see how they did things, and some formats are way out to lunch, I think. Like the Van Til List. It is so cold and impersonal, it seems to me. I've seen this format before, and got around in it OK, but I wasn't at home in it like the old XMB board.

To quote Antonio, from "The Mask of Zorro", This is going to take some doing."

[quote:f55160fef8="John"]
I'm looking for the "Today's Posts" button, and can't find it. That was always my first selection when I came on Board. Now I"m lost. Who posted what today? That function is only in the individual threads.[/quote:f55160fef8]

I'm with ya, John. That was always my first (only) selection too.

I couldn't find it either, so for now I've been using the Search function as a work around. Type [b:f55160fef8]*[/b:f55160fef8] in the keyword text box, select [b:f55160fef8]1 day[/b:f55160fef8] from the Search Options dropdown list, and then click the Search button. Its not the same as just clicking the Today's Posts button, but it gives the same results.

Bob

There is not a "Today's Post" feature, but there is one I like better. From the main screen, on the right is a link to "View Posts Since Last Visit"

Bob:

Thanks for the info; I'll try it. If I use the [u:ed37e1a0eb]Posts Since Last Visit[/u:ed37e1a0eb] button, then nothing shows us that includes my last visit. So I'm afraid I could lose tabs of the ones that I don't contribute to. I think, though, that this will probably prove to just something I have to get used to, and that it is all in my head.

Lawrence:
Did you get it fixed? I see your signature line. The thing Idon't like is that it has to be checked every time I post. Before it was always on for me. But then I never logged out; I just closed the window when I was done.

[quote:763c3b1568="Scott Bushey"]For some peculiar reason, Josh has "doctoral work" under his name and I have "University Doctor" under mine??? Matt has university doctor under his also???[/quote:763c3b1568]

I think that was because the board was using the default titles based on Matt's rankings. But now the special ranks (not dependent on number of posts) have been applied at least to the Superadmins. I'm not sure about Mods yet.

Yes this is bizarre. I feel like I've just come out of a dark theater and I've been blinded by the light. This will take some adjusting. I'm getting whoozy, ouch!. I bumped my knee.

Hey, and I've been busted back to a freshman! Oh the humanity! :no:

[quote:26e5fe339a="lkjohnson"]There is not a "Today's Post" feature, but there is one I like better. From the main screen, on the right is a link to "View Posts Since Last Visit"[/quote:26e5fe339a]

I like "Today's Posts" rather than "since last visit". It seems to provide a better chronology. I don't always get to respond to things I see the first time through, and then they "disappear" since the last visit.

[quote:6a0aaf9b06] ouch!. I bumped my knee. [/quote:6a0aaf9b06]

That must've been me-- I've been bumping into things, trying to find todays posts.

I'm a computer-illiterate moron as it is, and ya'all threw this new stuff at me bright and early on a Monday morning. I like it, though! I do miss being able to click on Today's Posts to see what the hot topics are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back