The New Dude's admission.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Lake

Puritan Board Sophomore
I saw a thread on the King James (a Bible I like when I wish to read a translation that "forces" me to be reflective.) I however (prepare to stone me) STILL like the NIV....there I said it. With all the new Bibles out, old ones like Geneva and KJV with a following, I sometimes feel "odd man out" but I REALY like the NIV, a number of my commentaries use the NIV I still use the NIV Study Bible (2002 update), as well as a Cambridge thinline. So, there, I have admitted my "heresy" I like the NIV , after all these years.:):):):cool:

The silence is deafening, should I be shamed by my NIV use??????:book2: (Am I the only NIV person here?) Could be worse....my wife likes the NLT.....:eek:

I admire your honesty Jon. Admitting your problem is the first step toward healing. We'll just take baby steps from here until your are able to break your NIV habit.

You're not the first person to come along who has been jonesin' the NIV. You will find the help you need here. :p

I admire your honesty Jon. Admitting your problem is the first step toward healing. We'll just take baby steps from here until your are able to break your NIV habit.

You're not the first person to come along who has been jonesin' the NIV. You will find the help you need here. :p
OUCH!!!!! I thought a Moderator would be much nicer about my NIV thing!:lol: Everyone else also thinks I should 12 Step to the ESV.....

For shame!

Do we even consider folks who don't use either the KJV, NASB, or ESV Reformed??

You're all alone in your principles Jon. Now keep both hands where we can see them and put the NIV down and step away. We don't want anyone to get hurt here.

Jon, you must understand that the punishment we inflict upon you for this foolhardy admission is in your best interest. There may be a virtual tribunal held and you may be stoned in absentia and or virtually but it is all for the best. :)

To be fair, Jon, I personally know the president of a Reformed seminary, very conservative, who holds to the Westminster Confession with both hands, and is a Greek scholar, and he likes the NIV too.

But he has his personal emendations written in as well.

And, no, I'm not going to reveal his name. :p

You're all alone in your principles Jon. Now keep both hands where we can see them and put the NIV down and step away. We don't want anyone to get hurt here.

That Thing You Do:

Jimmy: [Speaking about Diane Dane ] She told me never trust a label. And I'm beginning to believe her.
Lenny: Well, sure. I mean, come on. They put us up in a first class hotel, all expenses paid, while our record climbs the charts; bunch of lyin' snakes.
Jimmy: Sorry I'm buggin' you! I guess I'm alone in my principles.
[leaves the room]
Lenny: Oh come on. Oh, there he goes off to his room to write that hit song "Alone in my principles."

To be fair, Jon, I personally know the president of a Reformed seminary, very conservative, who holds to the Westminster Confession with both hands, and is a Greek scholar, and he likes the NIV too.

But he has his personal emendations written in as well.

And, no, I'm not going to reveal his name. :p
Oddly enough it makes me feel a little better.:p

Andrew, that scene was running through my mind's eye when I wrote the phrase. It's not surprising that you picked up on it. I've always known that our brains run in the same circles. No wait a minute, that didn't come out right.

I must say that i won't be part of the virtual stoning since i really like your avatar...Monk rules!
Lol! Well....my wife thinks I have some "Monk" tendencies, and I am a fan of the show as well, hence the avatar.:):):):)

-----Added 12/2/2008 at 04:16:29 EST-----

Repent!!

j/k....sort of... :eek: ..... :pray2:

:lol:
DOH......quit laughing at my NIV.....I love it!:book2::book2::book2::book2:

my wife thinks I have some "Monk" tendencies

Wait a minute, that's not an admission of full-on Lutheranism, is it? That plus the NIV bit will gain you entrance to our special "Servetus Suite". Come, stay a while. Go ahead and take off your coat, we'll make sure you stay warm by other means.

I saw a thread on the King James (a Bible I like when I wish to read a translation that "forces" me to be reflective.) I however (prepare to stone me) STILL like the NIV....there I said it. With all the new Bibles out, old ones like Geneva and KJV with a following, I sometimes feel "odd man out" but I REALY like the NIV, a number of my commentaries use the NIV I still use the NIV Study Bible (2002 update), as well as a Cambridge thinline. So, there, I have admitted my "heresy" I like the NIV , after all these years.:):):):cool:
I suspect this is a forced confession. I realize that you probably are not at liberty right now to respond directly, but give us some indication if you are being held against your will and are being forced to say such things. Try and stay on the line as long as you can, we'll triangulate and find your position. Be encouraged - help is on the way.

Personally, I have found several passages during my preaching through the Gospels and the Psalms where I think the NIV translated the passage in a manner superior to that of most other English versions (including the ESV - gasp!). It's not consistent in doing so, but it happens.

It has to be remembered that the NIV is an eclectic translation, meaning that it is a compilation of various translators working on the various books. The committee has never published a "who's who" that would give us a peek into what was worked through by whom, but I'm sure that at least some of those on the translating committee has some respectable credentials, even if we would not agree with them at all points of their translating philosophy, or on certain points of theology.

It can't hurt to read the NIV. In fact, I have in the past gone back to the NIV during my more devotional reading just to take a break from the standard translations. Each has its virtues and its poorly rendered portions. However, the TNIV is in another category all together, an one from which I refuse to read (having read through much of it when it was freely distributed at my first seminary in an attempt to disseminate it among those who were training to be the future ministers of the Word) as the philosophy driving that entire work was produced by the egalitarian/feminist movement as it has come into the Church.

I suspect this is a forced confession. I realize that you probably are not at liberty right now to respond directly, but give us some indication if you are being held against your will and are being forced to say such things. Try and stay on the line as long as you can, we'll triangulate and find your position. Be encouraged - help is on the way.
LOL.....shall I "drop" my cell phone so my captives do not see?:)

LOL.....shall I "drop" my cell phone so my captives do not see?:)
I KNEW IT!!! Ok, yes, if you can do so inconspicuously, by all means, drop the phone down by your side.
Too late.....Helsinki is setting in....:)

-----Added 12/2/2008 at 04:55:51 EST-----

Personally, I have found several passages during my preaching through the Gospels and the Psalms where I think the NIV translated the passage in a manner superior to that of most other English versions (including the ESV - gasp!). It's not consistent in doing so, but it happens.

It has to be remembered that the NIV is an eclectic translation, meaning that it is a compilation of various translators working on the various books. The committee has never published a "who's who" that would give us a peek into what was worked through by whom, but I'm sure that at least some of those on the translating committee has some respectable credentials, even if we would not agree with them at all points of their translating philosophy, or on certain points of theology.

It can't hurt to read the NIV. In fact, I have in the past gone back to the NIV during my more devotional reading just to take a break from the standard translations. Each has its virtues and its poorly rendered portions. However, the TNIV is in another category all together, an one from which I refuse to read (having read through much of it when it was freely distributed at my first seminary in an attempt to disseminate it among those who were training to be the future ministers of the Word) as the philosophy driving that entire work was produced by the egalitarian/feminist movement as it has come into the Church.
THERE is a good and upright man!!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back