The New iMacs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Macs, but when a comparable PC is hundreds of dollars less expensive that's just pathetic. Apple needs to come down at least a little. For example, this machine should go for about $900.

I like Macs, but when a comparable PC is hundreds of dollars less expensive that's just pathetic. Apple needs to come down at least a little. For example, this machine should go for about $900.
Adam, a bit of irony here, in the Dark Days Apple sold Mac at a lower price and wold take any and all vendors.......when Steve Jobs returned from exile (got rehired) he made Apple......an Icon, a status symbol......he KNEW he would never outsell PC but why not make a Ferrari against the PC Ford? He did it and it was a BIG risk......it paid off......last month on the 27th(i think) Apple (aapl) closed at an all time high, 140 bucks a share and some change. This marketing frustrates some....but it works.:2cents:

Last edited:
The smallest model's price is not that outrageous and the others are not through the roof either. I'm actually tempted because all the cords that come with a computer system get pretty tangly after a while. You pretty much only need room for a monitor with a thing like this which would be perfect for a small space.

I havce a 27" Hi-Def LCD screen that is my monitor, TV, and video game playing TV as well. While these things look good, having to use it as your monitor doesn't help.

...and Fingolfin, I know it works, I just wish it didn't. So long as it does they will never lower their prices to competitive levels.

I havce a 27" Hi-Def LCD screen that is my monitor, TV, and video game playing TV as well. While these things look good, having to use it as your monitor doesn't help.

...and Fingolfin, I know it works, I just wish it didn't. So long as it does they will never lower their prices to competitive levels.

Well I agree with that. I have a separate Media Center PC too that I connect to my 50" DLP but I don't use that for anything except as a Media Center.

My best "Pink Panther" French accent......Adam.....but of course, competative is a realative term.;)

I don't know. Toyota and Honda always have higher prices that their American competitors. The main reason is that they work.

This whole idea that PC's don't work is very exaggerated.
Not for me its not. Also, we have all PCs at work and they are managed by EDS (who, if anyone, should know what they are doing), and most everyone has a lot of problems. My home PC, which we don't use for much (email, Office docs, etc.), has also had a lot of problems. We have to have a PC repair guy out at least once a year to keep things going.

Hey guys. I am late to this thread but I will try to answer a few things.

Beth, as far as Virtual PC, you already got a great explanation so I will not go over that.

As far as the form factor of the system, I have own them all.
I have had Mac Laptops, a G4 tower and iMac and a coupel of Mac Minis.
My favorite is the Mac Mini.
I probably would like one of the new iMacs if I had one but the Mac Mini is great.
I should also mention that I have opened them all.
I have upgraded all kinds of parts on all of them.

There is no reason for you to get a tower. Consumer Mac Peripherals are no longer being made for PCI slots that that is the main drawback to the consumer Macs.
Everything you need to add can be done with USB and Firewire.

My suggestion is get the Mac Mini, get one refurbished if they have then available.
The reason I like the Mac Mini is that it takes all of the cor components of the computer and packs it into a 6.5x6.5x2. inch case and then you are free to cusomize everything else.
I only paid $550 with shipping, tax and everything for mine.

I at one time was reluctant to buy the all in one types but I have never regretted it. I did get a tower last year and then sold it again about 7 months later and returned to a new Intel Mac Mini.
I haven't missed it yet.

Also, Apples are far less expensive in the long run. My mom is still happily using my 7 year old iMac running OS X panther.
Of course I upgraded the hard drive, optical drive, RAM and added an Airport card to it as well as an iSub for music :)

I paid $350 for that originally 5 years ago when it was 2 years old.

Oh, one think to keep in mind is that new intel Macs have no support for really old classic only applications. It has to work in OS X to work on the new macs.
For most that is not a problem but for a few it might be.

My suggestion is get the Mac Mini, get one refurbished if they have then available.
The reason I like the Mac Mini is that it takes all of the cor components of the computer and packs it into a 6.5x6.5x2. inch case and then you are free to cusomize everything else.
I only paid $550 with shipping, tax and everything for mine.
Beth: Instead of refurbished, you could also get a new one on an education discount, as you have a school-aged child. You can do that online or at an Apple Store. I think the Mac Minis are $50 off on the education discount.

Thanks guys! The Mac Minis sound interesting. It will be awhile before I get a new computer but in the meanwhile I am going to look into Macs. If I get one the emphasis would be on graphics though I am a bit unclear on something. I do understand Macs are better for graphics but is this true on the Intel Macs? I don't know if that question makes sense as I don't know what it is about Macs that made them better for graphics, etc. :doh:

The older iMac G3 333 MHz I got my daughter is officially running Mighty Mike ( was Power Pete)...you should check it out. ;) It is a fun game if you like that sorta thing once in awhile. The only thing is that it runs on OS 9.2 and might run on OS X in classic mode..not sure though! Come think of it if anyone can get it to run on OS X let me know. :) There is a link to it earlier on or it is ranked #1 in Google. :coffee:

Thanks guys! The Mac Minis sound interesting. It will be awhile before I get a new computer but in the meanwhile I am going to look into Macs. If I get one the emphasis would be on graphics though I am a bit unclear on something. I do understand Macs are better for graphics but is this true on the Intel Macs? I don't know if that question makes sense as I don't know what it is about Macs that made them better for graphics, etc. :doh:

The Mac Mini was originally seen as a inexpensive option for PC users to migrate to the Mac. So all you get is the CPU, you have to supply a display, an USB keyboard and an USB mouse. If you already have those go for it. If not, you may well find yourself spending as much as for an iMac and getting less. (The Mac Mini is slower and has less disk space than an iMac.)

The graphics capability of the Mac is based upon the operating system's software support for graphics and very little from the hardware. In fact the Mac Mini and Mac Books use the same hardware as the low end PC's. The iMac and Mac Book Pro use the same hardware as some of the better PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back