The New International Greek Testament Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
These commentary set (12 totally) looks very interessed. Does anyone knows if these are only reformed scholars ? Anyone know some of the volumes ?
-----------------------------

http://store.yahoo.com/discerning/newingreekco.html

This commentary series is established on the presupposition that the theological character of the New Testament documents calls for exegesis that is sensitive to theological themes as well as to the details of the historical, linguistic, and textual context. Such thorough exegetical work lies at the heart of these volumes, which contain detailed verse-by-verse commentary preceded by general comments on each section and subsection of the text.

An important aim of the NIGTC authors is to interact with the wealth of significant New Testament research published in recent articles and monographs. In this connection the authors make their own scholarly contributions to the ongoing study of the biblical text.

The text on which these commentaries are based is the UBS Greek New Testament, edited by Kurt Aland and others. While engaging the major questions of text and interpretation at a scholarly level, the authors keep in mind the needs of the beginning student of Greek as well as the pastor or lay-person who may have studied the language at some time but does not now use it on a regular basis.

I have Ellingworth's Hebrews and O' Brian's Phillipians. Both are excellent and helpful. I don't think they're all reformed. They are NT scholars broadly in the evangelical tradition. I say broadly because at least one of them, James D. G. Dunn, is associated with the New Perspective on Paul. In fact, Dunn coined the phrase. He wrote the Colossians/Philemon volume of the NIGTC.

On the other end of the spectrum, Dr. George Knight (OPC minister) has the Pastorals volume, very good.

I would only buy selected volumes, rather than invest in a whole set of these.

Originally posted by Contra_Mundum
On the other end of the spectrum, Dr. George Knight (OPC minister) has the Pastorals volume, very good.

I would only buy selected volumes, rather than invest in a whole set of these.
And Dr. Knight's is the best commentary I've seen on the pastorals. It is excellent beyond measure.

DTK

Gabe,
Are you are refering to the NICNT (New International Commentary on the New Testament)? (at least, I know FFBruce wrote one Gal. comm. in that series)

This thread is referrencing the NIGTC, a newer different series.

Gabe,
Are you are refering to the NICNT (New International Commentary on the New Testament)? (at least, I know FFBruce wrote one Gal. comm. in that series)

This thread is referrencing the NIGTC, a newer different series.

This is the one I have. It is from the NIGTC set. Lots and lots of interaction with the original greek (so my use of it is somewhat limited at this time, but I bought it for a research paper I did on Galatians a while back). I always seem to enjoy F.F. Bruce's work, so I figured I would try this one out.

Originally posted by Contra_MundumI would only buy selected volumes, rather than invest in a whole set of these.

Which volumes whould you recommand ?

Myself i don't know any greek, are still usefull for me ?

Ralph,
Its one of those questions I can't answer for you. I don't know your real needs, or how to evaluate them. One question to ask is: how many commentaries do I need on any given book of the Bible? How many do I have a realistic chance of using? I am preaching in the book of Romans now on a regular basis. I have (my own/borrowed/access to) over a dozen commentaries/sermon series on Romans. Its more information than I can digest in a week of preparation.

This series is a "newer" series, so it offers fairly up-to-the-minute digest of all the vast literary output that disects a book's material in papers and journal articles and other people's books. But, the overall treatment of Paul's or Luke's or John's arguments is just about as good in Calvin as it is in much modern work. This series also presents itself as a "scholar's" help, over against, say, a basic devotional help. It is going to be deliberately technical in certain respects.

So, when purchasing I would decide by names I recognize, or recommendations from people who know. Several volumes have been mentioned in the thread: Knight, Bruce, Ellingsworth, O'Brien. I know nothing about the last two. Bruce's work goes back probably 20 years (he died in 1990) to a final revision of his Galatians commentary. Knight's is less, more like 10 years old. Both authors are highly trustworthy. You would have to research other contributors, or take suggestions like the ones offered.

I look for names of men like John Murray, Leon Morris, D.A. Carson, E.J. Young, Phillip E. Hughes. All these names are reformed or close to it. But only a couple of these are living or active. So, you check to see where this or that guy was educated, or is teaching, or what church has ordained him. I would ask professors like R. Scott Clark here on the PB who he considers good men, or a generally useful and fair treatment (even if not reformed in every respect).

I hope these few suggestions help direct you...

Ralph,
Its one of those questions I can't answer for you. I don't know your real needs, or how to evaluate them. One question to ask is: how many commentaries do I need on any given book of the Bible? How many do I have a realistic chance of using? I am preaching in the book of Romans now on a regular basis. I have (my own/borrowed/access to) over a dozen commentaries/sermon series on Romans. Its more information than I can digest in a week of preparation.

This series is a "newer" series, so it offers fairly up-to-the-minute digest of all the vast literary output that disects a book's material in papers and journal articles and other people's books. But, the overall treatment of Paul's or Luke's or John's arguments is just about as good in Calvin as it is in much modern work. This series also presents itself as a "scholar's" help, over against, say, a basic devotional help. It is going to be deliberately technical in certain respects.

So, when purchasing I would decide by names I recognize, or recommendations from people who know. Several volumes have been mentioned in the thread: Knight, Bruce, Ellingsworth, O'Brien. I know nothing about the last two. Bruce's work goes back probably 20 years (he died in 1990) to a final revision of his Galatians commentary. Knight's is less, more like 10 years old. Both authors are highly trustworthy. You would have to research other contributors, or take suggestions like the ones offered.

I look for names of men like John Murray, Leon Morris, D.A. Carson, E.J. Young, Phillip E. Hughes. All these names are reformed or close to it. But only a couple of these are living or active. So, you check to see where this or that guy was educated, or is teaching, or what church has ordained him. I would ask professors like R. Scott Clark here on the PB who he considers good men, or a generally useful and fair treatment (even if not reformed in every respect).

I hope these few suggestions help direct you...

Dear Rev. Bruce G. Buchanan,

Thanks alot for yout help, i aprreciatte it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back